Celebrity obsession (Male, 25)

R

RoPierre

Hello there, I'm new and was wondering if anybody has experienced anything like this. I have seen women, usually younger that my age have this issue however it seems rather rare that somebody in my position reports having similar feelings.

Since the beginning of the year I've developed a very strong obsession with a particular female singer of similar age to myself. She's intensely famous, has a boyfriend and wouldn't be interested in me anyway. I'm used to being very appreciative of life and having my mind filled with deep, academic, philosophical and complicated issues in general. The last thing I'm used to thinking about is the shallow, silly school girl world of celebrities so the fact somebody like me is dealing with this is so surprising and bizarre.

I find if I listen to her music or she crops up on TV or on the radio it triggers me and makes me feel very bad about myself and like my life is entirely pointless. I start thinking there's no point in anything as matter what I do I know my life will always be dull and mundane and ordinary in comparison to the glamour and glitz of her life. I never used to care about how she looked for all the years I knew about her existence up until the point of the start of this obsession however now I can't see her as anything but the most gorgeous women I've ever seen despite other people I talk to often disagreeing with me. No other celebrity has this impact on my psychology. She's far too big to avoid for too long unless I hide in a cave and regardless of this I still actively seek her out myself checking in on what she's doing atleast once a day.

When I'm in company I can forget about her for days at a time and I can feel like this was perhaps a phase that is about to pass however whenever I return back to my lonely night job the feelings and anxiety associated with her return so I imagine it's something to do with feeling alone.

I've developed an interest in writing a book of some description involving a celebrity stalker and I've also been watching and reading more and more about celebrity stalkers who have hurt themselves and/or the object of their obsession and it does get the cogs moving in my head however I've got no intention of actually doing anything bad. I'm sure this last symptom is probably naturally much more common in men than it is in women and it's certainly something I wouldn't want anyone in real life knowing about me.

Has anyone else noticed thoughts like this arriving in their life? How did you overcome it or are you still experiencing it now?

Thanks,
Adam

:thanks:

S

Sunset7

Hi Adam, I have to say I don't have first- hand experience with this, but it sounds to me like you feel inadequate compared to this celebrity and still you keep checking what she's doing and making yourself miserable. One way I can relate with you is that I have a relative that seems to be doing everything just right, not even just her, but her kids excel at everything they do and they are all immensely successful. I'm a perfectionist so seeing that all the time made me feel like a complete loser. They live far away and we are only connected through family groups on social media. I finally realized how miserable this made me feel and tried to stop checking in. It was very difficult at first, also because I couldn't keep in touch with a lot if other people because of this. I had to remove the app from my phone and overcome the urge to see what was going on. But after a while I managed to do it. I'm now OK with checking in on the family group once in a while and don't feel so bad about it any more. I think if you can manage to not check back with this person for, say, a month or so, maybe you could be "over the hump". I know it's difficult if she pops up everywhere, but you can try and not watch the TV channels she's on or listen to the radio but play your own mix of music, maybe? Hope this helps!

R

RoPierre

Hi Adam, I have to say I don't have first- hand experience with this, but it sounds to me like you feel inadequate compared to this celebrity and still you keep checking what she's doing and making yourself miserable. One way I can relate with you is that I have a relative that seems to be doing everything just right, not even just her, but her kids excel at everything they do and they are all immensely successful. I'm a perfectionist so seeing that all the time made me feel like a complete loser. They live far away and we are only connected through family groups on social media. I finally realized how miserable this made me feel and tried to stop checking in. It was very difficult at first, also because I couldn't keep in touch with a lot if other people because of this. I had to remove the app from my phone and overcome the urge to see what was going on. But after a while I managed to do it. I'm now OK with checking in on the family group once in a while and don't feel so bad about it any more. I think if you can manage to not check back with this person for, say, a month or so, maybe you could be "over the hump". I know it's difficult if she pops up everywhere, but you can try and not watch the TV channels she's on or listen to the radio but play your own mix of music, maybe? Hope this helps!
Hello, thank you very much for the response I greatly appreciate you taking the time to reply. Yeah, I think I'm going to take your advice and just avoid feeding this obsession. Thanks for sharing your own personal experience too it's similar enough where I can recognise the parallels and similarities between myself and you it's just a slight change. Thanks for that!

S

Sunset7

I'm glad if I was able to help a little and hope you feel better soon! :)