• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Celebrity obsession and low self esteem

A

Amy777

Hi!
Recently I’ve been feeling kind of empty. Looking at social media, I’m always scrolling through something as a way to “fulfill” myself and my time. What I mean is that my fantasies that have been created by social media has altered my reality, and it’s really draining. I like this certain celebrity a lot, I found him via TikTok which is a very popular app. It felt like I could identify with him in a sense, he seemed to be going through a rough patch in life, dealing with some mental health problems, as it appeared. I understood him.

Not only is he very attractive, but he also seems to be like me. We have quite a similar style and even music taste. It was nothing more than that in the beginning, though, as time grew - I got obsessed. He was all over my feed on Instagram. As I decided to delete TikTok, Instagram started to get bombarded with posts of him. I couldn’t hide from the fact that I really liked this guy. I did save a lot of pictures and videos, only to show my friends which clearly got annoyed with my silliness. Later on, it got bad. It got to the point where I couldn’t stop thinking about him. I couldn’t focus, watch a movie or listen to music without thinking about only HIM. He had occupied my mind and almost taken control of everything I do in my normal day to day life. I started to talk with my friends about it, because it got very hard for me. They didn’t say more than “Please, if you talk about him ONE more time, I’m gonna get mad” or “He’s not even that cute”. Furthermore, they’d tell me to cut him off by blocking him and stop thinking about him. Here I am, I’ve blocked him, but I can’t stop thinking about him. I don’t know if I can talk about it with my parents because we’ve never really talked about such things before and I find it quite embarrassing. All those fantasies created by social media are kind of like dreams that I want to alter into my reality. When I see him, I think about the possibility of becoming his girlfriend, marrying him, being with him and as a starter just stumbling into him. That’s silly because he’s a celebrity, but maybe he’d notice me like we were “meant to be”. Like we we’re meant to meet at that very spot.

I’m sorry if this is stupid, I’ve just been so low recently and I need advice on how to move on from this stage in my life. It’s taking over everything that I do and I need to get back on track. It’s hard to maintain my happiness when all I think about is that I’m never going to meet this boy. Reasons as to why this has to do with my self esteem is because it feels like I’m this obsessed because he has something that I feel like I’m missing. He’s attractive, fun, famous and he’s by my age. I feel so unnecessary for this world almost. I also feel a type of connection because all of these things have formed an obsession. I almost don’t know if I want to be him or be with him, it’s like he has the lifestyle I want to alter into mine, either by being with him or being him. All because of the fact that I like him and that we are “similar”. I don’t know if it’s a silly crush but it’s been quite a long time and I still can’t get over him.

Moonlight_Day

Moonlight_Day

I don't think there is anything wrong with daydreams, passionate thinking, wishes, wants ect. As long as it stays as those things and doesn't cross over into affecting life and believing those daydreams are really happening and making someone change or adjust their life because of it. Nothing wrong with believing anything is possible, but knowing reality from imagination is important. Just my opinion :hug:

JessisMe

JessisMe

Hi there, I have certainly shared some
of your feelings regarding different celebrities though not to this degree. I think the best way to “get over him” is to try to delve into other people and interests. It almost doesn’t matter so much what they are just so long as they help to take your mind off of him. It might not be that successful at first but in time you will get over him. I have gotten over my celebrity fascinations. For me it was part loneliness and part solitude I think that made me reach for something that fantasizing about celebrities had to offer. That and there really weren’t any guys I was interested in in my area.
But I do think you will be able to get over him and the entire situation eventually. It will just take some time. xo, j