Celebrity Crush/Obsession

D

deppazoid

I am not really sure where celebrity obsession falls on this forum. This is my first post. I have had celebrity obsessions since I was like 12. They are always one at a time and the current one that I have is so bad. I have gone down the rabbit hole and I can’t get out. He is not very well known and he just got a large role in a popular show but he is playing opposite of a girl in a romantic role. It is so hard for me to watch the show now and I honestly don’t want to continue. I feel like I am more “in love” with his real-person rather than the role he plays. I check his social media multiple times a day, everyday. He is funny, plays instruments, sings, and acts. He is basically my ideal guy, as far as I can tell. He is apparently very approachable and sweet which sucks because I have to swallow the fact that I will probably never meet him and even if I did meet him, I know he wouldn’t be interested in me. It is so hard to live like this. I wish I just had never found out that he existed. I get nauseas when I see him because I feel so consumed by “butterflies.” It is weird and I realize it is creepy. I hate being like this. I actually considered becoming an actress so I would be more likely to meet him in a more natural setting. I have read about celebrities dating non-celebrities.

I suffer from general anxiety disorder and take medication for it but this is a new sort of “celebrity crush.”

calypso

calypso

Admin
Hiya and :welcome: to the forum. I think their is a name for this but it escapes me at the moment. AS I understand it, and correct me if I'm wrong, people develop these kind of feelings when they feel inadequate to meet someone in real life. Have you ever had an affair with a real person? Just asking not trying to pry or anything.

I don't know what the answer is for you, except perhaps ask a doc, but they won't be able to help you much either I shouldn't think as they tend to want to give out meds and I don't think meds can help with this. Have you ever tried therapy of any sort?

D

deppazoid

Hi Calypso, thank you for responding! You are correct in that I don’t feel like anyone in my real life can compare or is good enough. It sucks. I have also always wanted to be an actress so I feel like I had the chance but lost it because I didn’t pursue it. I take meds already.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
Many of us have or have had celebrity crushes, you are not alone in this.
Try to meet more non-celebrity's and you never know you might find love instead.
Here to listen anytime.
Take care

L

Lee_Lee

You're not alone, deppazoid. And like calypso said, it's a feeling of inadequacy.

I started obsessing over celebrities sometime around the age of 12 as well. And like you, i can only be focused on one person at a time. I would only lose interest if another celeb came along that grabbed my attention. Some obsessions would last a year, some lasted 5.

I would obsessively collect everything on said celeb until a new obsession replaced him/her... When that happened, I lost total interest in the one before and would just get rid of whatever I collected on them. It's VERY annoying and mentally draining, isn't it?

Back then, I really felt like I was just collecting things on certain celebs as a hobby. It was comforting to me and distracted me from my every day anxieties and phobias. I didn't understand the obsessive nature of it until just recently as an adult.

I've never had fulfilling friendships or relationships because of my phobias, so I guess that's why I do it.

I really hope you and I can find some meaningful real life relationship(s) eventually. Just remember this crush will pass too. Crossing fingers for you.

Last edited:
D

deppazoid

@Lee_Lee Wow, you completely hit the nail on the head! I feel so weird when I know so many details about a celebrity crush, past or present. I feel creepy and I hate it. Usually, I can accept that it’ll never happen by I have never felt this strongly about one before. It’s like I have to figure out a way for him to notice me. I am insanely jealous of the whole cast of the show that he does press tours with, especially the actress that plays his love interest. It is so crazy and I know I sound crazy. I feel like I will never feel this strongly about anyone else. It is almost like I wake up depressed everyday. I hate being this way.

L

Lee_Lee

Well, this one obviously hit you hard, deppazoid. The fact that you know it and it creeps you out is a good thing! Keep reminding yourself that this isn't your first rodeo and like every other celeb crush you had before, you will wake up one day totally not interested in him. Also remind yourself that he is totally human and has flaws like the rest of us. He's just not perfect no matter how obsessed you feel about him right now.

Play a game with yourself. See how long you can last without checking his social media or watching him on TV. Do something else to take up that time you normally watch him. Cooking, cleaning, going out for a walk. Whatever you can do. Your brain needs to learn it can think of other things besides him. Reward yourself somehow with each day that passes that you don't pay attention to him. It will feel GOOD. Like you accomplished something important! You HAVE to make a conscious effort!

I think this will help you gain some control over the situation. And having some control will make you feel better. And if you can accomplish this, you will feel like a weight has been lifted. I know that even though we *think* it feels good, obsessing over someone really makes us feel like crap. Your life is on a literal hold. Think of all the things you *CAN* accomplish if you're not wasting every moment of every day thinking of him? No one is worth that amount of time. No one.

Again, you're aware of the problem, so just make a conscious effort, ok?

Good luck!