• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

CBT

Willow

Willow

Can someone please tell me what happens when u go for CBT? is CBT the name given as an umbrella of many treatments etc? Im trying to prepare myself for whats to come and im a bit nervy.

Many ta's

Willow

Willow

Thanks Pegasus. I have looked CBT up on lots of pages but I was really after the 'real life' thing and hey, how can you get any more real life than from you lovely forum members ! :hug:

Aahbut

Aahbut

Hi Willow, basically they talk with you and help you to see that there is a positive side as well as a negative with every thing. It's very simple and you even get homework like at school. Some people swear by it and have benefited greatly, I on the other hand got nothing out of it except annoyed at being spoken to like a child. It's nothing scary so give it a go.

Willow

Willow

Hi Willow, basically they talk with you and help you to see that there is a positive side as well as a negative with every thing. It's very simple and you even get homework like at school. Some people swear by it and have benefited greatly, I on the other hand got nothing out of it except annoyed at being spoken to like a child. It's nothing scary so give it a go.
Thanks for that. Hmmmm that was exactly what I thought it may be like. Thing is, even though they will be trying to help, I will not be talked to like a child (appreciated this may have, unfortunately, been a one off in your case) and I would tell them just that.

I used to do voluntary work for OCD-UK and was on their helplines so looked into CBT back then and to be honest, im not that optimistic.

Oh well, guess il'll find out!

R

Roxy

Founding Member
Hi Willow, I've been receiving CBT for almost two years now, and although its not the miracle cure that the NHS is saying it is, its worth a try. As with many treatments, its success can depend on the therapist who is delivering it. I'm lucky in that i've had regular sessions with someone who treats me as an equal, and does not talk down to me.

In saying that, at times i've struggled with the concept of my depression/anxiety being something that I can control just with trying to replace my negative thoughts with positive ones. Wouldn't life be great if it was as simple as that, I believe its more complex and we should just take whatever benefits we can from this therapy and use it as another valuable tool in which to cope with our illness.

Willow

Willow

Thanks Roxy.... thats quite interesting to hear... and it was how I would think it would be.

skitzware

skitzware

Founding Member
The real concern I have with CBT is that it only deals with the present. It never seems to deal with how I got into the position in the first place.

D

Dollit

CBT is about moving forward and learning how to change behaviour and the thinking that goes with it. It doesn't deal with the past because that's the job of a therapist.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I thought CBT was a therapy, nowadays the big thing is computers, so the model of the mind is based on computers, in freuds day the big thing was steam engines so you have the idea of negative feedback and the nervous system going to fast or to slow.

Tell someone to be positive, then the reality is theres not much to be positive about say because of the reality of mental illness

It seems very idealistic to believe that by changing the way you think you can change the world, i have this vision of councilers turning up in famine zones and saying it's the way people are viewing their hunger thats the problem

D

Dollit

It is a therapy but it is limited. And it is a psychological therapy which is dealing with behaviour. To delve into the past you have to have a particular kind of therapist.

And yes, I've often thought about the hunger scenario or the government telling us that the new way to avoid cancer is to die younger because you're more likely to get it when you get older.

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
I have been having CBT for about 10 weeks now and overall have found it beneficial. although it does use the presence as the basis for its treatment I have found that it does draw on past experiances that may have induced negative behaviours and thoughts. Dont know if this helps??

T

Ted_Hutchinson

Living life to the full I haven't actually done this free online CBT course but for folk who are waiting for CBT sessions locally it may be useful to give you an understanding of what it's about and how best you may be able to re prioritise your thoughts and actions.

S

Sall1

Founding Member
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is not the only therapy out there that can treat people successfully, but it does work for a lot of people.

The NHS prefer therapists to use it because of it's proven efficacy with treating an array of mental health conditions in the short term. It is also cost effective and teaches the individual to be their own therapist ultimatley. Afterall at some point we have to manage the world once again for ourselves without our therapists. CBT basically via our therapists should better equipt us for the downfalls in life referring specifically to the way in which we think about our difficulties and how we behave/react towards them.

I understand that there is now a computerised version of CBT which i'm personally quite sceptacle about - I think it's just that I prefer to be face to face with someone when in therapy. That's an individual preference though. It's good if it works for some people though.

My personal life experience of CBT is generally positive. I've been seeing a therapist weekly and she has helped me to start to challenge my negative thoughts. I do believe that this therapy is mostly about the here and now but I don't think that the past can be left at the door completely. After all for me - my negative thoughts are often based from negative things that have happened to me in the past. My therapist is helping me to restructure how I think about what as happened in order to help me to move forward.
What happened to me in the past happened to me when I was younger andat a differnet developmental state - I am now an adult and the therapist is helping me to learn that I have to see the world now through the eyes of an adult and not as I was when I was going through a lot of stuff. It sort of helps me to to change my perspective on the problems I have.

i.e. - One of my negative thoughts is: If I eat too much food (or even a little some days), then i'm disgusting and fat and ugly. In therapy the origins of this belief has been explored. One of it's origins being that I had a very difficult set of teenage years not really fitting in etc which led to a dislike about myself.

The therpist is now helping me to see this situation now as an adult and my beliefs in the present have been challenged. Such as i'm no longer that child who was uncomfortable about my body and how it looks, I have people in my life who love me for who I am and how I look therefore, do I really need to keep on starving myself to feel accepted and loved? Now i'm having to replace my negative concept(s) with more positive ones in order to overcome my difficulties with eating disorders. I hope this makes some sort of sense.

Ultimatley though I think you get the best results from working with a therapist who is good at their job. The quality of therapy being offered to me seems only as good as the therapist who delivers it. Basically I hope you have a good competent therapist as I am very lucky to have. Give it a go... you wont know until you give it a chance.

Oh and if things trouble you in therapy then don't be afraid to challenge the therapist i.e. ask them questions, ask them to clarify things for you etc. I did this when I felt really stuck and it was very liberating for one and secondly, it allowed the therapist to see that I was watching what she was doing. It keeps them on their toes!!! lol.

Hope this helps. Good luck

Sall
:hug:

M

Michael

Founding Member
My thoughts on CBT (for what they are worth)

Well directly after my prolonged sessions I thought they were useless!, and this carried on for quite some time.
Now - well, I am thinking differently about them, the charts drawn between the two of us show how my thinking is distorted, very difficult to understand/acknowledge/accept at the time, now I think I am able to see a chink of light. Having said that I do keep slipping back, but by referencing the charts I can see where I am on it and work to change it, and that is the word I think - work - only you can do it.

How good it is depends (I think) on how strong you and the support you have around you is, this is whee this forum comes in very handy as it is there when my support around me seems (to me) to be failing

Michael

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Talking Therapies 2