• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

CBT - help with people I don’t like

S

Spring_Is_Here

Hi everyone
I finished some CBT therapy a few weeks ago and am on the waiting list for some more. I have found it helpful and am researching more on the internet whilst I wait for more help.

Something that didn’t come up in my sessions was realising how many people at work I don’t like and how that affects me. I’m trying to find some resources on the web about how you to use CBT to help you with people you don’t like. I can’t find anything useful.

I understand that I can apply the ways of thinking to this situation and try not to look at people with all not nothing thinking eg not look at them as bad or good but honestly, many of these people are not nice - and it’s not just myself who can see it, others can see it too.
If anyone has advice or can point me to resources for dealing with difficult people using cbt, I’d appreciate it as I know this is an area that is affecting me a lot. Thanks

A

Am33

ACCOUNT CLOSED
The advice I got was you don't have to like people . Just look past all their stuff and still see the humanity in others and that well help you .

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

If anyone has advice or can point me to resources for dealing with difficult people using cbt, I’d appreciate it as I know this is an area that is affecting me a lot. Thanks
Hi and congratulations for finishing CBT! That deserves some praise 🙏 it's quite a lot of work.

I believe you about people in your workplace behaving poorly and I'm sorry that this is affecting your well-being. I wish there were CBT skills for magically transforming others into decent people; I often wonder if a reason I have to go to therapy is because they refuse to! 🤣 Alas, we can't make others change. But here are some ideas for working on ourselves, I hope one will be helpful.

REBT for shoulds/oughts/musts regarding fairness at work.

Downward Arrow a CBT technique for figuring out what you believe it may mean about you, when people behave the way they do at work.

Interpersonal Effectiveness from DBT. A suite of techniques for communicating assertively and being fair--to yourself as well as others.