• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

CBT course

N

navhealth

I am on 4th session my CBT course..and I have to say it is no help at all..how should these go? she has not asked me what my triggers are or tried to get to the bottom of it..i feel lost and dissapointed..i had lot of faith this will help.

maybe because it is over the phone and not face to face i am not getting the effect. She sends me these pdf docs about anxiety after every call which tbh are just info i already know and have read on google

has anybody been on a course to resolve their anxiety how did it go and did they get to the bottom of your triggers and actually give you exercises to do to help reduce anxiety ?

I am really really getting fed up with my anxiety now i thought i had a control over it and was done with it but now it has crept back and has become nightly routine to have anxiety symptoms.

Z

Zoe1

I think maybe give it another two sessions
and see if you can talk to the therapist
about how you're feeling with the sessions

and whether its the right type of therapy for you
you can ask her what other types of therapy there are
and possibly suggest you meet some others to compare

new therapy clients are very vulnerable
and its good you are coming here
to check out whats happening with your therapy

:grouphug:

N

navhealth

thanks for the reply. I just feel she is just reading a script. She does not speak about my triggers are etc or how i can overcome them.

I have a call every 2 weeks. On the next one I will try and challenge her to try and find out what is she trying to achieve and what is point of this course.

It is socially effecting me a lot and life with my kids so i need to get on top of it asap

Z

Zoe1

do you have any other support navhealth
im sorry to hear the therapy is affecting you
it can do ...

do you have any supportive friends or family
to offset the heavy work of therapy ?

N

navhealth

do you have any other support navhealth
im sorry to hear the therapy is affecting you
it can do ...

do you have any supportive friends or family
to offset the heavy work of therapy ?
nope no other support at all..apart from this forum and the course lol

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

It sounds like she has not created an environment that's conducive to therapy, or worked much on the relationship between you and her. But I don't know. Do you feel that the counselor has done much to build trust and demonstrate genuine care and concern for you?

Argon

Argon

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Exercises: Mindfulness Meditation

N

navhealth

It sounds like she has not created an environment that's conducive to therapy, or worked much on the relationship between you and her. But I don't know. Do you feel that the counselor has done much to build trust and demonstrate genuine care and concern for you?
That will be the nail on the head. It literally is like she is reading a script all the time. There is no sort of chat or care as to why my anxiety is happening etc i just get the general sort of why anxiety happens etc a lot of it is not even relevant to me sometimes. One the sessions she literally talked for 20 mins straight then said she will just send me the info over email read through and that was it lol

N

navhealth

thanks will take a look at these some of these i already have been send and looked through

N

navhealth

that half smile seems interesting will be trying that

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

That will be the nail on the head. It literally is like she is reading a script all the time. There is no sort of chat or care as to why my anxiety is happening etc i just get the general sort of why anxiety happens etc a lot of it is not even relevant to me sometimes. One the sessions she literally talked for 20 mins straight then said she will just send me the info over email read through and that was it lol
Shocking. That's certainly not how CBT is meant to be done. Patients are assigned work to be done between sessions though it is supposed to supplement the actual sessions. From your description, I get a picture of therapist-as-lecturer then you are told to do all the meaningful work on your own.
I admit my ignorance as to how CBT is implemented in England. If your experience is representative of NHS standard of care, I'm left with the impression that the mental health care system is overwhelmed and trying to clear the queue. Empathy and rapport are abandoned as they go right into treatment having never secured a collaborative alliance with you.

My sympathies, friend.

N

navhealth

Shocking. That's certainly not how CBT is meant to be done. Patients are assigned work to be done between sessions though it is supposed to supplement the actual sessions. From your description, I get a picture of therapist-as-lecturer then you are told to do all the meaningful work on your own.
I admit my ignorance as to how CBT is implemented in England. If your experience is representative of NHS standard of care, I'm left with the impression that the mental health care system is overwhelmed and trying to clear the queue. Empathy and rapport are abandoned as they go right into treatment having never secured a collaborative alliance with you.

My sympathies, friend.
I agree it feels like i am just another call she has to get through. I understand there must be a lot more people having this now due to this lockdown mess that has triggered many peoples anxiety off including mine..But i expected something completely different from the course. Will see next week how it goes and I will be stopping her in her tracks and voice these concerns I have if she just starts reading from a script again for half an hour.

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

I will be stopping her in her tracks and voice these concerns I have if she just starts reading from a script again for half an hour.
That you're willing to advocate for yourself (and by doing so, advocating for others who come after) speaks very highly of you as a person. Well done. It's difficult to handle stressful situations whilst living with anxiety yet you're navigating a disappointing experience with your under-delivering healthcare system. And I hope that will feel empowering and not create feelings of helpless. Thank you for doing this for yourself. You're very much worth the effort.

I'm reading about IAPT's telehealth version of CBT. I see there are criticisms about its devaluating of a patient's past issues in order to focus efforts on addressing automatic thoughts and cognitive distortions here in the present.
I agree that therapy doesn't necessarily have to dig deep into the past in order to improve mental health in the present. But it can helpful to understand history so it can be brought into the present.

In an case, the therapeutic alliance between help-seeker and counsellor can never be done away with, shortcut for budget reasons, or substituted by emailing self-assement forms. Securing a working relationship is fundamental to every therapy model, including CBT, and that begins with a therapist listening and showing empathy. And you're quite right to insist that your coinsellor do their job and build that trust with you, especially as we cannot have face-to-face visits.

I want to help. If any or all of the following script resonates with your feelings, feel free to use it and adapt it to your style of speaking:

"Thus far, I must say I'm not entirely pleased with our relationship. Here are my concerns. I don't feel heard. I don't feel you understand me or my condition very well. I'm not very hopeful for a positive outcome of this therapy unless you're willing to get to know me better. I want to be open and vulnerable with you, I want to work together but I need to trust you first. It wasn't easy for me to tell you this, thank you for listening. Can we start anew by discussing what might be triggering my anxious thoughts?"

N

navhealth

That you're willing to advocate for yourself (and by doing so, advocating for others who come after) speaks very highly of you as a person. Well done. It's difficult to handle stressful situations whilst living with anxiety yet you're navigating a disappointing experience with your under-delivering healthcare system. And I hope that will feel empowering and not create feelings of helpless. Thank you for doing this for yourself. You're very much worth the effort.

I'm reading about IAPT's telehealth version of CBT. I see there are criticisms about its devaluating of a patient's past issues in order to focus efforts on addressing automatic thoughts and cognitive distortions here in the present.
I agree that therapy doesn't necessarily have to dig deep into the past in order to improve mental health in the present. But it can helpful to understand history so it can be brought into the present.

In an case, the therapeutic alliance between help-seeker and counsellor can never be done away with, shortcut for budget reasons, or substituted by emailing self-assement forms. Securing a working relationship is fundamental to every therapy model, including CBT, and that begins with a therapist listening and showing empathy. And you're quite right to insist that your coinsellor do their job and build that trust with you, especially as we cannot have face-to-face visits.

I want to help. If any or all of the following script resonates with your feelings, feel free to use it and adapt it to your style of speaking:

"Thus far, I must say I'm not entirely pleased with our relationship. Here are my concerns. I don't feel heard. I don't feel you understand me or my condition very well. I'm not very hopeful for a positive outcome of this therapy unless you're willing to get to know me better. I want to be open and vulnerable with you, I want to work together but I need to trust you first. It wasn't easy for me to tell you this, thank you for listening. Can we start anew by discussing what might be triggering my anxious thoughts?"
Thanks for that appreciate it a lot..has given me a confidence boost lol I am defo going to be putting my concerns to the therapist this time..i really was expecting this course to help me so has been a let down so far

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Stromatolite Anxiety Forum 4
P Anxiety Forum 4