CBT(Cognitive Behavioural Therapy)Experiences

F

ffleaderman24

Post your experience of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy here-

I had my first experience with CBT about a year ago up until now. It really helped with my OCD, but when i stopped having it for a while my OCD got worse.
I have alot of negative beliefs and psychotic thoughs,anxious thoughts and Intrusions and it helped me to combat the belief i was anorexic and allowed me to go out in a tshirt which i had not done for 4 years. My beliefs stem from my abusive childhood and are really strong and we have worked really hard at combating these beliefs.
The beliefs at present are still strong and me and my therapist seem to be in a losing battle. The therapist apologised to me and this is where we are today. So it has worked a little bit, but not enough. Has it worked for you?

calypso

calypso

Admin
I am in the process of CBT, but really well done. I am just past identifying the core beliefs and beginning to change my behaviour. It is starting really with the tiny things, and then we will build up. I don't think your therapist should give up on you. If they have run out of ideas, then they should talk to someone else or refer you on.

Basically, if it doesn't work then another type of therapy might help. What annoys me is that we either get offered CBT or nothing, and if we try to find another then where do we go? what kind is right for us? We have to wander out there and its all hit or miss. xx

marcustwelve

marcustwelve

Hi I've had short courses of CBT in the past, usually one hour sessions for approx six weeks at a time, I found one course useful that addressed my low self-esteem / assertivness problem. The results didn't last long afterwards unfortunately!! I seemed to gel better with one councellor than the others and think that is important in it helping. Six weeks I thought wasn't long enough really but thats all the MHT offer where I am. I would consider it again but the waiting list is long and you can't be sure who you get :(

J

Jamster

Never been offered through NHS despite over 10 years depression most of the time, was told of a 3 year waiting list at one point. I learnt the basics through reading the 'overcoming' books, which has had a permanent effect keeping me from the lowest of lows, the worst social anxiety and can challenge 'crooked thinking' and the worst negative thoughts with those skills, to a degree. I think therapy with a person could help but there is so much in my past and so much to talk about it would take more than 10 sessions more like 20-30. I will pay for CBT first then other therapies as soon as I have the money because of the benefit I've seen already.