CBT Appointment

J

just me Amy

So i have a CBT Appointment today, I feel like i can not make it to Appointment although its only half hour away by walking
Its not out of my comfort zone, i have Agoraphobia to. I always ask for help then when it comes to it i pull out ok its silly and i am doing it for myself. Ive had GAD 15 years i sort of cope with it. then Along came Agoraphobia last year. I know i can only get better with help but I know now this morning i can not go to Appointment i do sound like i am negative all time but its part my problem.
These problems have taken over my life and it caused depression to, I suppose its anxiety feeling and panic because of my Appointment today. How do i change my negative thinking Any advice appreciated.

G

gam9147

Thanks for sharing my friend. It sounds like you are definitely ready to start CBT and you are already receptive to it and that's so much further than so many people are!

Just remember to stay in the moment, one step at a time. When you start to feel your thoughts straight, use a 'stop' technique to return you to them. Have you practiced deep breathing? this is another technique that can help you return your focus when your feeling bad.

Let us know how it went :)

J

just me Amy

Thanks for your reply, yes i did go to appointment this afternoon, although this morning i nearly cancelled i know its daft but i had anxiety and overthinking.
i coped well, in fact i surprised myself. I had a little panic attack on my walk back home but in all i am glad i done it. little step at a time.

G

gam9147

Glad you got there! I would think definitely anticipatory anxiety and a panic attack or two would be in the cards, but as long as you push through it, no harm done right! Great work!

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

little step at a time.
That's it. If you get that this is a process you're on-track. Therapy class can feel overwhelming when anxiety symptoms flare.

That you accepted how terrible you felt and yet you went anyways says a lot about your inner strength and your desire to engage on your own recovery. These are positives and you've earned praise for this bit of success. Well done you.

It won't always be this hard. I could barely pay attention my first go at CBT because my symptoms were not managed. Anxiety made me feel so exposed and depression reduced my ability to comprehend and retain information. Let us know how you're going as you continue.

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

CBT can be done at home, believe me, the internet has advanced so fast, in 1993 only 1% of the world's population had internet access, half were American. Google CBT home course, maybe you can do it for free.

J

just me Amy

Thanks for your reply, yes i have a lot of inner strength, and determination that Agoraphobia cant take over. Its all down to our thoughts. yesterday i thought do i cancel my appointment and stay in or do i go and get the help i need so i went .I suppose first steps the hardest i got to go further out comfort zone soon and public transport it will not be easy for me but my therapy will help me.

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

it is a lot to do with inner strength, it is innate, we're all born with it, & intense positive thinking as well, & intense rational thinking too.

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

One thing I found that helped a lot, was watching hilarious stuff, on YouTube or TV, I grew up in the 80's, so watch clips of comedy shows I remember from then.

J

just me Amy

i grew up in 80s as well i watch you tube and comedy something very funny when i am down does wonders

G

gam9147

You should definitely keep yourself going to therapy as it also gives you a chance to work through your fears of getting away from the house directly. But the techniques you learn in therapy can be practiced at home, and that's the great part -- to get you feeling better such as breathing.

Great work! let us know how it goes

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

Resiliency from your inner strength, from the hope that will come with each successful step and also the strength from your support network at home and online - we're here when you need us! :cheer: