CBT and Self critical thoughts

A

Angel Feather

Hello

I am trying to figure out self help CBT...but I was just wondering how you spot self critical thoughts. It says in the book that they occur when you feel bad about yourself but I feel bad about myself most of the time...

I was also wondering about anxious predictions because I feel anxious most of the time aswell

CBT looks good but its hard when you dont know what youre doing!!!

Xxxx ANgel FeATher Xxxx

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
Hi,

CBT can be pretty difficult to get the hang of.... but worth it. Often thoughts and behaviours work together and it only when you start really looking do you realise th negative impact they have. PM is you have any other questions.. My experiance may help you a little

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
Hi AngelFeather.

DBT (Dialectical behavioral therapy) is also an option. All therapies are difficult if you value them.

A

Angel Feather

Self critical thoughts and CBT

I think CBT is better for me since I dont have Personality disorder. I was diagnosed with psychosis.

thoughts affect behaviour & behaviour affect thoughts- i learnt something now LOL

Angel Feather

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
One clinical psychologist said "you've nothing to be positive about" thats the trouble with cbt iy doesn't solve real problems

My experience of thinking positive is benefit clarks and social services staff love it if you look on the positive side your illness doesn't look so bad and they can cut limited resources

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
I would have to disagree that CBT does not help you solve real problems...... My problems have been real enough for me and although CBT had not been the miricle cure but has helped me adress my problems that are real enough to me. I am sure it does not help everyone but cannot be dismissed just becuase it does not work for everyone and CBT does not just make you think postive it maked you think of alternatives that are prehaps more balanced and not neccessarily positive.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
His ambivalence about getting better makes it impossible to find a focus for therapy, an nhs therapist, i'm cynical about the nhs better which is an on drug better and not one thats really fit for work though the benefit lot take it seriously

I said if you can't help me give me the money your getting to help me and i'll pay for a private therapist she said thats not going to happen

She did say in the past i was deemed to have recovered and fit for work the result been the benefits were cut but on attempting to work the illness recurred

I don't know if the illness recurred, there was predujice in the job and also it turned out that on meds i wasn't as fit as i assumed

A

Apotheosis

It is but one of many techniques & therapeutic tools that can assist recovery.

Personally it helps to be aware of certain 'thought processes' & patterns, & how behaviour is very much linked with & symbiotic with 'thought'. It isn't as simple as saying that 'doing things' makes me feel better - but changing certain behaviours & behavioural responses can impact an improvement in well being & help change patterns. Simply choosing to not think about certain things can also work surprisingly well; if it is tried. I prefer more meditative & mindful techniques. But as much insight & understanding that can be gained into the life of the mind & psychological observations - the better in my book - it certainly won't do any harm.

I can choose to go for a swim, a walk, have a bath, watch a film, brush my teeth, try some relaxation, eat a good meal, chat to a friend, learn something new; do something I enjoy - it doesn't have to be complex. Practising healthy routines; & having in place mechanisms to alter behaviour despite how I'm feeling; isn't some miraculous cure, but aided by certain distraction techniques, & other methods, it can & does help with certain things if I chose to apply it. It's all ammunition.

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
COuld not a gree more apo...

CBT is not the 'miricle' cure but it does give you a tool bag to tackle thoughts and behaviours that may cause an individual distress. At the the end of the day everyone is individual and unique which is why CBT works if the individual finds there own method.