• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Causes of BPD

F

false_xsmiles

I would like to ask of the causes of borderline personality disorder.
I know that the criteria states that the causes could be Childhood abuse, neglect or separation.
But what about bullying, invalidation, such things?
I'd just like a more clear view on the causes.
Can somebody have it out of the blue? No family history ect.?

Help, Thanks:)

N

Nixicurlz

my doctor has told me that it is recognised by most doctors that bpd is a mixture of both biological and social factors. it might lean towards one more than the other for some people. depends on the individual. biological can be things like damage to the brain. i think its also to do with the amygdala, th part of the brain that controls emotion, social is the things like invalidation that you mentioned.

dib4uk

dib4uk

I would like to ask of the causes of borderline personality disorder.
I know that the criteria states that the causes could be Childhood abuse, neglect or separation.
But what about bullying, invalidation, such things?
I'd just like a more clear view on the causes.
Can somebody have it out of the blue? No family history ect.?

Help, Thanks:)

Bullying can ceretainly help to form bpd because its a childhood trauma, it depends on what the person went through though doesnt it?

Yes someone can have it without any other family member having it, althought as others have said sometimes its more genetical inheritance but also envioronmental factors as well

Scared with BPD

Scared with BPD

There is no definitive answer as to why someone has BPD. I know a lot has been talked about early childhood, family relationships and genetics, but there is no one clear or correct answer. You may have had the happiest, securest childhood known to man and still develop or have BPD.

Please remember though, although it's an absolute more than nuisance, there can be times when it is not life-defining. There is a wonderful woman called Marion Janner, who herself has BPD, but has received an OBE for her work in Mental Health. I have met her, albeit briefly, and her great dog Buddy. The best quote I think I ever read about BPD she wrote in an article for a woman's magazine introducing herself, My name is Marion I have BPD but I also have an itch on my leg. Big message, it's as important as we allow it to be. Saying all that, I know how incredibly desperate it feels to hit the lows and they can last a long time, but it doesn't have to be this hideous all-encompassing life sentence.

Sorry if I went on too long.

Wish you all the best

amathus

amathus

There is no definitive answer as to why someone has BPD. I know a lot has been talked about early childhood, family relationships and genetics, but there is no one clear or correct answer. You may have had the happiest, securest childhood known to man and still develop or have BPD.

Please remember though, although it's an absolute more than nuisance, there can be times when it is not life-defining. There is a wonderful woman called Marion Janner, who herself has BPD, but has received an OBE for her work in Mental Health. I have met her, albeit briefly, and her great dog Buddy. The best quote I think I ever read about BPD she wrote in an article for a woman's magazine introducing herself, My name is Marion I have BPD but I also have an itch on my leg. Big message, it's as important as we allow it to be. Saying all that, I know how incredibly desperate it feels to hit the lows and they can last a long time, but it doesn't have to be this hideous all-encompassing life sentence.

Sorry if I went on too long.

Wish you all the best
Hi,

I find the analogy of having an itch on the leg interesting....if not accurate!
Marion Janner probably has all the life skills and coping techniques to deal with her BPD.
That is the key for those of us dealing with this problem on a day to day basis...having the understanding and skills to deal with it.
I have been fighting the 'battle' because that is what it is, for many years, without appropriate treatment, it is only now at 57 yrs
that I have more understanding and feel the need for therapy that I am pushing my cause.
BPD is still very much misunderstood, worringly, with Menatl Health Professionals...I feel I have been pushed to the bottom of the heap of PD sufferers.
It is refreshing then, that more is beginning to be understood about this debitating problem.

Thanks, m.

C

CVliving

Hi, I'm Borderline Personality and I've wondered this a lot myself.
My mum suffers from Anxiety and that probably didn't hurt my chances.

I've heard a number of reasons and many doctors have asked me if I was sexually abused as a child.
To my knowledge I was not.

While I came from a reasonable home (reasonably wealthy father who works as a lawyer) and was never hit as a child I feel like abuse can also be emotional and unintentional.

From what I've heard It can come from one over involved parents + one under involved parent .. which might be part of my problem.

When I would cry my father would always say "WHY ARE YOU CRYING! I give you everything and it's not enough! We have money..etc"
But he didn't know that he wasn't there and when I spent the days at home my mother would either ignore me.. up in her room crying..
or smother me with love like I was some kind of toy.

Also, my father was very very paranoid about me (as a lawyer he knew who was out on the streets) .. we wouldn't let me bike with the other kids when I was little or play in the cow fields with them.. even when I was as old as 19 and still living at home he wouldn't let me out alone after dark. (AND we come from a small, small community .. not a tall building in sight)

Anyway.. sorry to ramble on and on about myself... my point is I think it comes from a variety of things