Catastrophisation

W

webby

I hope that somebody can give me some advice. Whenever I am faced with a difficult situation I always assume that the very worst thing will happen and think about it constantly - literally every few seconds with thoughts continually running "in the background".

I have received CBT as recently as this year and am aware of "catastrophisation" but I can't seem to stop it. If I follow the advice of using evidence to challenge my previous negative thinking i am left thinking that this next problem is "the big one", the one that will finally prove that I was right all along.

A problem at work has brought this to a head again and I have spent the whole of the two weeks over Christmas imagining letters and conversations which ultimately lead to my bankruptcy, loss of house and future etc.

Any advice gratefully received

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
I do this reguarly... all scary things are going to happen to me. Bailiffs are going to turn up reguarly even though I have now sorted my money and am paying off things.

With CBT I have found that sometimes it better to concentrate on the behaviour rather than the thoughts. Distraction works for me sometimes... Daft things like I ll have a shower or I ll start to clean up or I ll put my fave song on a cd on full blast. This has helped me kinda prang my thinking or I simply dont think about it at that moment in time and maybe revisit the thought when I am feeling a little brighter. Dunno if this helps??

W

webby

Many thanks for your thoughts. I know this kind of approach works for short periods of time but it doesn't remove the nagging feeling in the back of my mind. I regularly find myself actively searching out the issue in my head and bringing it to the front of my thoughts.

What I am doing at the moment is taking an issue and thinking through the most extreme consequences. What is very difficult is that in my own mind I can see why these consequences are not only plausible but actually extremely likely

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
If they are likely... is there anything you can do to relive the stress a bit. Citizens advice beureau are very good in helping with financial issues as are the Consumer Credit Councellin Service.. Hpe this helps a little. Taling to anyone you owe debt to is always beneficial beacuse they no whats happening if you talk to them!

Take Care

Intel
x

D

Dollit

I was very much in that mindset until I started to practice mindfulness. I've been meditating since I was in my teens but this is a much simpler way. You can get books and CDs from www.bangor.ac.uk/mindfulness or, if you have iTunes, there's 10 minute podcasts - just search mindfulness. It's not a miracle cure but it can help enormously and you can do it anywhere with a little practice.