• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Casual sex

N

Neevee

Sexual intmacy seems dead. Everyone I know eats, sleeps, and breathes casual sex. I have never had an issue with getting women that way. I often turn down those advances because I have always only wanted that connection with one person. I personally hate the idea that people should just have sex letting our "instincts" take control. The nature argument is awful. We aren't caveman. We aren't animals. I can live with people enjoying their sex lives because honestly, what people do privately isn't my business, but it's not private. People normalize and openly post about their sex lives. It's sad to see. It makes me uncomfortable and I am forced to see it. College is a shitty place for a boomer mind I guess.

Wishbone

Wishbone

It's a sign of a decaying society to make everything about sex. It's also great distraction for the masses from the actual important things being inflicted upon us. It's also great for spreading disease, and if you've ever seen some of those stats, it's pretty frightening, but hey...who wants a healthy society, huh!?

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

I don't see the relationship between casual sex and depression. If anything, I would think that casual sex would lift someone's depression. Maybe I'm wrong.

Schwarzen

Schwarzen

There's nothing inherently negative or positive about casual sex, engaging in it doesn't make anyone "cavemen" or "animals".

You're within your right to feel annoyed by it but I noticed you said people post about it, I have to imagine as in social media, not that they go out of their way to specifically tell you about it.

Then I have to wonder, why would you use social media if you're not interested in people pointlessly sharing every detail of their personal life? isn't that the point of the whole thing? maybe don't voluntarily submerge yourself in a culture you dislike.

N

Neevee

There's nothing inherently negative or positive about casual sex, engaging in it doesn't make anyone "cavemen" or "animals".

You're within your right to feel annoyed by it but I noticed you said people post about it, I have to imagine as in social media, not that they go out of their way to specifically tell you about it.

Then I have to wonder, why would you use social media if you're not interested in people pointlessly sharing every detail of their personal life? isn't that the point of the whole thing? maybe don't voluntarily submerge yourself in a culture you dislike.
I nearly strictly follow news and sports pages. Basically information. But social media forces that's stuff upon you. All the media does. You cannot avoid it. And I do personally think giving into urges easily is very animalistic. Whether that be sex or any other medium.

N

Neevee

I don't see the relationship between casual sex and depression. If anything, I would think that casual sex would lift someone's depression. Maybe I'm wrong.
It's all a matter of the person. Casual sex to me is being used as a means to someone's pleasurable end. And that's sad enough for me.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Some with low self-esteem, not depression, just low self-worth, use casual sex as a way to boost this. They often go round in circles between feeling the boost of attention/confidence, then revulsion etc. Rinse repeat.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

What I was trying to get across (but in an obtuse way) is that I don't believe the Depression Forum is the appropriate forum to discuss casual sex.

N

Neevee

What I was trying to get across (but in an obtuse way) is that I don't believe the Depression Forum is the appropriate forum to discuss casual sex.
It is a growing issue that is actually at the root of my depression. I was hoping for some discourse and varying opinions to help me think. If you require complete context to prove that something belongs in a certain area that's disappointing. The sexual assault I went through most of my life makes this topic difficult for me. Thank you anyway.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

Sex without some level of personal sharing and commitment is a meaningless act. Why engage in 'casual sex', it seems demeaning for both participants. When I'm intimate with a lady I want to be close to her and vice versa. Anything other than that is rubbish.

L

littlepeach

That is not a boomer mindset, I think it is totally healthy to think like that, and I am proud that people who think like you still exist. If I decide to have sex with someone, it has to be a person who I know well and have feelings for. I've been dating my boyfriend for 3 years and I started having sex with him only after one year of relationship because I didn't feel fully comfortable opening my body to him in the first year of dating. Now we are even trying out new things like sex toys.

A

ardennesoffensives

Sexual intmacy seems dead. Everyone I know eats, sleeps, and breathes casual sex. I have never had an issue with getting women that way. I often turn down those advances because I have always only wanted that connection with one person. I personally hate the idea that people should just have sex letting our "instincts" take control. The nature argument is awful. We aren't caveman. We aren't animals. I can live with people enjoying their sex lives because honestly, what people do privately isn't my business, but it's not private. People normalize and openly post about their sex lives. It's sad to see. It makes me uncomfortable and I am forced to see it. College is a shitty place for a boomer mind I guess.
people aren't going to change their behaviour to suit you.