• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Cash help in winter - can you help me?

G

GrumpyKa

Hi Everyone

I'm new on here.

I wondered if you could help me.

I had very severe depression as a young woman but have managed to keep it at bay for 35 years now, and have had a successful career despite a few minor relapses.

As part of my 'payback' I'm keen to keep in touch with mental health issues and do what I can to help with awareness and improved help for sufferers,

This week I've been looking at benefit entitlements and particularly the information available via gov.uk.

Clearly ESA is a major area but I came across this - https://www.gov.uk/cold-weather-payment - and I'm interested in assessing how this works for people.

It implies you can get some extra cash of the weather is very cold but I personally don't know anyone who has received this benefit.

Has anyone out there received one of these payments? Was it helpful?

What do you think of the info on gov.uk about it, particularly the 'find out if you are due a payment' link?

Thanks if you can help me - appreciated.

Ka

apple

apple

I have received cold weather payments automatically, when they have deemed the temperature to have fallen below a certain threshold. I cannot recall the amount now, but it may have been £10??

Last edited:
porkpie

porkpie

I have received cold weather payments automatically, when they have deemed the temperature to have fallen below a certain threshold. I cannot recall the amount now, but it may have been £10??
Its £25 when the temperature falls below freezing for 7 consecutive days.

N

Nicola398

Yes £25 pounds and you automatically receive it if on benefits if the temperature outdoors falls below freezing for 7 -10 consecutive days, it is I think ,and if after the 10 days it falls below zero again for another of the same amount of days you get another £25.Whenever and however often it is below freezing for those amounts of days,you qualify for a payment of £25.