• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

carnt help my son

H

haynorgaynor

Hi I'm a mum of a 24 year old son who has bipolar. He also has drug addiction. I'm finding it very difficult as he's trying to stop and needs his boyfriend here to help with his low mood. I don't feel relaxed I my own house as I don't want him here as there has been lots of problems in the past..domestic violence . They had a flat once. I'm depressed through my job loss and now find it doubly difficult to be assertive. He plays on my weaknesses. I feel so alone there no family..Other than his dad who doesn't live near us. I feel my life is over and his is over before its really started. He's been offered rehab but not accepted it yet. I have so many regrets and so much guilt as to why I'm in this situation today. So many bad choices I have made even down to having him and deciding to bring him up alone. I'm 49 and had my dream job as a nurse..It all went wrong when I became addicted to cannabis. .I'm looking for any job which won't be easy to find. I feel so guilty and pathetic I'm finding it hard to see anything good in my life and guilty for not appreciating that at least I have my health. I'm taking antidepressants which aren't helping as yet. just dread getting up in the morning as I carnt see how things will change.

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear that you are having a hard time coping at the moment. Depression can turn everything in to a struggle. You say you're on antidepressants, have you been on them long? Do you have counselling of any kind? If not, it might be worth considering or asking your doctor about. I don't think that dwelling on your regrets will help you at all. What's done is done, there's nothing you can do to change that. Is your son getting any treatment for his bipolar disorder? You obviously have many issues that you need help with. Can you go back to your GP and request further assistance?

I hope that you manage to get things sorted and back on track. I won't pretend that it will be easy but things can change.

H

haynorgaynor

Hi and thanks for your reply..I've only been on them 17 days but I guess talking therapy may be needed too. My son has SW and dual diagnosis worker. I know things change but perhaps if I can change and grow from this I can move on. Just feel I don't have the fight in me fight now.

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

I know what you mean. Everything can feel just too much sometimes.

It's a pain with antidepressants as they can sometimes take weeks before you notice any effect. Hopefully they'll start working soon. They're obviously not going to make everything okay but they might work well enough so that you start to feel a little more in control and able to deal with things.

I would recommend counselling particularly if you don't feel as though you've anyone to talk to or support you.

RainbowHeartz

RainbowHeartz

hi and welcome to the forums xx

Q

Quickduck

ACCOUNT CLOSED
:welcome: to the forum haynorgaynor. I hope you find some support here. :hug:
Hang in there. :hug1: