• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Caring about doing stuff makes me anxious..?

E

earthbound_misfit

Just noticed something and wondering if others experience the same thing... or have any insights...
Basically, I struggle to do stuff.... anything... when feeling rubbish. However, I can still do stuff that matters to me in some way. Eg. I took my pets to the vets recently for a checkup and was fine with getting there on time and everything (I struggle when it's my own appts.)

Recently I've been working on a project with a self-imposed deadline, and I've been pushing myself to do it - I've been working on it even when horribly low. The thing is, I've only been able to push myself like this because it matters to me to get it finished. But... because I care about getting it done it is making me really anxious - I actually have collapsed in tears over it several times feeling overwhelmed with everything in life. (It's taken a couple of months so far, so makes me feel like I'm getting nowhere in life/everything takes ages.)

So... if I don't care, I can't get something done, if I do care, it makes me so anxious I can't relax til it's done or wind down/step away from it.

Hmm.
?

M

Mastiff mom

I experience much the same thing it's very frustrating and makes me feel like a lazy procrastinator. I try to cut myself a break mentally and parcel out what needs to be done. Like, I just cleaned the cat litter boxes...put it off for a week, partially because I got the flu and frankly, i didn't want to do it. I'm sorry you are experiencing so much anguish. Try to be kind to yourself and maybe take your project in smaller sections. I hope you feel better. Hugs.

Grape

Grape

I think it is important when depressed not to put ourself under any pressure, deadlines etc... It's best to save those things for when you are well if you can.