• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Carers " Me " time ?

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
What do you do for " me " time ??

I don't get a lot of " me " time really , but when i do i like to make cards :), it doesn't take too much concentration as you are always looking at what to add etc.

M

maudikie

Me time.

If the patient is well medicated and back to their best ability, and if you have a good relationship with him/her, it may be that you can find some intrest in common. It may mean that you have to adjust your interest to that of the patient. I adjusted - or took interest in art and accompanied the patient to an art club. and also a photgraphic club. So I made friends/acquaintances as well.
If the patient is not well enough to enjoy any hobbies, but should be encouraged to, if they are not able to work, then there may be a drop in centre soewhere near,but they don't seem very popular and anyway the Government is closing them here there and everywhere. I think probably some of the patients don't really like to be with others with the same or similar complaint, although at times they can be very supportive to one another.
In any case you should ask for a carer's assessment of need, and say that you want a break. this should mean that some arrangement is made with your co-operation, someone may come to sit with the patient, or stay for a short while whilst you have a holiday.or osome time off. Ideally you should have a break for about three days a week. Then you can develop your "me time" which is so essential. It also helps the patient as you can then bring in outside news to tell them. DON'T FORGET YOUR OWN ASSESSMENT OF NEED!!!:)

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Some good input there , thanks.

But what if you are unwell aswell ........... and don't like venturing too far from your comfort zone of home .

M

maudikie

Fed up.

We all get fed up from time to time - especially this time of year, sort of between seasons, whenthe wether is darkish for most of the time, the Tele is rubish, we can't do the garden because the ground is too wet. It makes the day long and tedious. I've suggested to someone before, take u p knitting, drawing, reading if y ou have the concentration. but now I think your best idea is the cup of tea so I'm off! Good night, God Bless. Takecare. The sun may be shining tomorrow, and all will be well with the world, at least for a bit!!:tea::flowers::tea:

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
We all get fed up from time to time - especially this time of year, sort of between seasons, whenthe wether is darkish for most of the time, the Tele is rubish, we can't do the garden because the ground is too wet. It makes the day long and tedious. I've suggested to someone before, take u p knitting, drawing, reading if y ou have the concentration. but now I think your best idea is the cup of tea so I'm off! Good night, God Bless. Takecare. The sun may be shining tomorrow, and all will be well with the world, at least for a bit!!:tea::flowers::tea:
Hope you enjoyed ya cuppa :tea:

M

maudikie

to fed up.

I have been fortuate today as my son and daughter-in-law took me out to lunch. Not particularly posh, but wholesome. My little step-grandaughter came with us. She has a mental health problem, and they are finding it difficult to get professional help. It's a condition I don't know much about, and as she is only 14 (a difficult age) and also has diabetes, which she manages extremely well, I just wait for her to come to me, rather than push myself onto her. The poor dear has a difficult life in front of her. She goes to ordinary school. I think special schools for children with mental or physical difficulties should have special needs schools, or at least an ordinary school with a special department and specially trained teachers like the one I once worked in.

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
I have been fortuate today as my son and daughter-in-law took me out to lunch. Not particularly posh, but wholesome. My little step-grandaughter came with us. She has a mental health problem, and they are finding it difficult to get professional help. It's a condition I don't know much about, and as she is only 14 (a difficult age) and also has diabetes, which she manages extremely well, I just wait for her to come to me, rather than push myself onto her. The poor dear has a difficult life in front of her. She goes to ordinary school. I think special schools for children with mental or physical difficulties should have special needs schools, or at least an ordinary school with a special department and specially trained teachers like the one I once worked in.

Glad you have had some nice quality with your family and lunch out too :)
What is the name of your step grandughters condition ?

M

maudikie

to fed up.

I don't know the diagnosis, and do not wish to dicuss her condition further. She is a lovely girl, and her mother and step-father are taking every action that is needed to help her. I think it is therefore wiser for me to "keep my nose clean".
I hope you have had a good day. I saw a most beautiful sunset from my sitting room this evening. I am very fortunate in the aspect of the window.
It is very different to going down to the beach and watching the sun go below the horizon. Having moved from the sea I miss this very much, but am enjoying seeing the trees come into bud, and the bulbs coming into flower. It is all a promise of spring, even though it is very cold at present. However I keep warm in my flat, and the clicking of needles continues until I "drop off"!:)

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
I don't know the diagnosis, and do not wish to dicuss her condition further. She is a lovely girl, and her mother and step-father are taking every action that is needed to help her. I think it is therefore wiser for me to "keep my nose clean".
I hope you have had a good day. I saw a most beautiful sunset from my sitting room this evening. I am very fortunate in the aspect of the window.
It is very different to going down to the beach and watching the sun go below the horizon. Having moved from the sea I miss this very much, but am enjoying seeing the trees come into bud, and the bulbs coming into flower. It is all a promise of spring, even though it is very cold at present. However I keep warm in my flat, and the clicking of needles continues until I "drop off"!:)

Okie dokie i hear you and respect your wish :)

M

maudikie

To fed up.

I have just found the King's College site and they are doing some interesting research. There is a feedback if you so wish.
I wonder who gives the weather forecasters their jobs! On the computer it says it is going to be a lovely sunny day here. It is now 11.14 and although it is dry it is dull, and colder than it was in the winter! Still I am fortunate - I have plenty to keep me occupied inside as I am crocheting a blanket for a charity. Then there is a new baby expected in June by one of my step grandchildren. I have enough wool to keep me going for the next 12 months I think!
. And I can now see some daffodils from my window. I also have some beautiful polyanthus on my balcony. they would cheer anyone up.

Al best wishes.:flowers::)
I hope you are feeling less fed up.

M

maudikie

Me time.

Had some wonderful Me Time yesterday Ha! ha!
I had just done my chores and settled to do some crochet when my eldest son came up with a large bucket of nails and screws (pre-used) and asked me to sort them out - nails in one box, screws in another box - odments in another one.
I have my degree in Nail and Screw sorting, as I used to do this on a fairly regular basis when y husband had retired and took up woodwork for a hobby!
I don't much mind it - but Cor! it makes your hands sore - No hands that do dishes!!:eek:

archie_fields

archie_fields

Founding Member
My 'me' time is all tied up in my childrens hobbies, hospital appointments and my degree!!

I honestly can't remember the last time I did anything by myself - even having a bath doesn't get me any peace as that's when the children remember something desperately important they need to tell me or just fancy a chat so they sit on the edge of the bath and gossip about the day.

Things should start to get better when (if!) the weather turns as I'll be able to get back out into the garden but until then I'm stuck getting up at 5am so that I can have some peace and quiet before the kids get up and invade.

M

maudikie

archie ields

How old are the children? I et you'd be lonely without them, even if they are little pests!:clap:

archie_fields

archie_fields

Founding Member
I've got a boy of 12 (who's got Aspergers so is a handful in himself) and two girls, 10 and 7.

The older two are heavily involved in the martial art Taekwon-Do so I'm often found sitting on leisure centre floors watching them beat each other till blood is drawn!! Even then I'm studying or worrying about Hope and how she is (she won't come with us so sits at home by herself and frets). It's hard but the kids need their hobbies.

They all spend a couple of nights a week at my parents house (about 15 mins away) so there's only 3 nights a week we've got them all here which helps ease the guilt of Hope taking up so much of my time (and also means they'll have shed loads of great memories of my parents when we emigrate in 2009).