• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Career Anxiety...Long...Need Insight. Have no one else.

T

TheWorkingGuy

Ok, so I'm new here. I've been having some trouble with my career lately. Career choice would be a better phrase.

I'm 28, finished college at 21, and taught H.S. science for two years. Hated it. I only did it because I needed a fall back from having been a premed. I was tired of school. Immediately after quiting teaching I became a law enforcement officer which I did until a month ago. I resigned to go back to school full-time to take a few courses I need to apply to pharmacy and medical school; organic chem. I and II and physics I and II. I imagined it being different. I'm working part-time, still in law enforcement, but I'm in a bit of a quandry right now. I had a good income (saved a lot), had rank, and I had a career to grow into with a large agency. The only catch was I didn't like where I was at mostly because of my boss and his boss and his boss so I didn't want to promote or go lateral. That said, leaving wasn't hard, however, now that I've left life is more difficult. I can't find a decent place to live. I also don't like my part-time job because I've gone from supervisory officer to part-time dispatcher so I'm at the total bottom of the totem pole.

Now, I realize I'm up against so much competition that it's freaking me out. The classes are going a bit more rough than I anticipated despite my preparation. Also, a few months ago I broke up with my girlfriend of two and a half years. I'm more angry for that than remorseful too. Now, not only do I need to find a new house, I need to find a new girlfriend because I'm lonely and know no one here (older than everyone in my classes), and I'm having to spend about six to eight hours after class studying for classes I'm still not doing as well in as I expected!

My problem is that I'm really feeling the urge to give up. Frankly, I don't know what else to do although I don't know where else to go. I'm even looking into alternative career paths outside of medicine despite having spent the last decade ultimately wanting to go into the medical profession. I've got exposure to it because I used to work part-time as a paramedic when I had time.

Where is my perserverance, and why is there so much anxiety?

BORTU

BORTU

Hi there, Been there, done that. My solution was to move, overseas if possible, I went to Australia. A change of direction worked for me.

BORTU