• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Care plan approach Review went bad

fazza

fazza

I had my yearly cpa last week and it was bloody horrible. My consultant had a trainee doctor with her so for her benefit she gave me a real complete review of all of my problems. She even went back to discuss things about my childhood.

My diagnosis is treatment resistive schizophrenia. She also states that I have a mood disorder and is going to review my med to see if a mood stabiliser would help. I have been on lithium before and it works well.

Does this mean that because I also have a mood disorder that I am no longer schizophrenic but now I am schizo-affective. I should have asked her to be more clear.

Any way i am starting to waffle. Hope everyone is well
Andy

C

claude

Sounds intense. I hate CPA meetings.

I dunno if the added mood disorder diagnosis automatically changes it from schizophrenia to schizoaffective. Did you get your letter outline the meeting from her yet? Maybe it will say on there?

I am diagnosed with schizophrenia and have also in the past been diagnosed with depression at the same time so you must be able to have concurrent mood disorders with schiz but i guess depression is a different kettle of fish to a disorder that includes mania or mood cycling so perhaps thats not relevant

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

I am reading a book now that says it is a guide to the newest DSM 5 which is used for diagnosing mental illnesses in the United States and some other countries. It said to be diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder you have to have mood symptoms for most (more than 50%) of the time during your mental illness history that you have also had symptoms of schizophrenia.

Passionflower

Passionflower

I am diagnosed paranoid schiz and I am always being treated for depression and there has been no mention of schizoaffective.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

I think I read somewhere that schizoaffective disorder might be a somewhat controversial diagnosis to some. Some people think there is no reason for the diagnosis when a person can just be diagnosed with schizophrenia AND depression or bipolar. Sorry but now that I think more about it I honestly can't remember if I read that some other people think this, or if it is just I that might sort of think this sometimes. But if I have thought this, I would think that others have thought it before me.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

I just looked it up, and yes, schizoaffective has been a controversial diagnosis in the past. Apparently the accuracy of this diagnosis was only 30-something percent, while a schizophrenia diagnosis was 90-something percent accurate. So in the newest DSM, they changed the wording of the diagnostic criteria slightly to hopefully make a schizoaffective diagnosis more accurate. I am one of those whose diagnosis was changed from schizoaffective to schizophrenia after the newest DSM was published. But for some reason, even though several times my psychiatrist has told me verbally that she has changed my diagnosis, after 7 months she still has not changed it on their computer system, so my diagnosis still says schizoaffective-depressive type when I get my printed out treatment plans.