Care Coordinator ?

A.m.b.e.r

A.m.b.e.r

Thank god it's starting to feel like I am getting the support I have needed for so long. I am seeing my PDoc again on Thursday and I had a phone call from a lady who has introduced her self as a CPN and my Care Coordinator.

I am having a meeting with her on Monday. Any ideas what to expect for the first meeting and more importantly what is a care coordinator and how have people found this has benefited them ?:rolleyes:

maxitab

maxitab

Hi amber...this is brilliant news.

Your Care Co-ordinator is precisely that, the person who s job it is to make sure all of those involved in your care are 'singing from the same sheet' as it were!
For this first meeting she might just talk in general terms or she might want to go through all aspects of your care...I have a post about care plans and care plan reviews, I;ll just find it and you can read it......

A.m.b.e.r

A.m.b.e.r

Ahh thank you MaxiTab, I know the whole "Care Coordinator" name is self explanatory, but for some reasons from my experience in the mental health care system things don't always do what they say on the packet if you know what i mean lol.

maxitab

maxitab

I can't find the post I was looking for. You can take anyone you want to with you, and this is a conversation about you and what you think as well as whatever they think!

It usually covers the basics like houseing, finance, self care etc but also your short and long term goals and things about meds and therapy....

I hope you get some good help!

A.m.b.e.r

A.m.b.e.r

:) Maxi do you find your CC a help, what have they done for you? Do they keep in contact with the Psychiatrist as well.

maxitab

maxitab

Basically mine acted as a liaison and kept hold of all of the threads......she was brill, but I did quite a bit of the preparation work myself too, I wanted an active partnership rather than yet another person who told me what they thought was right for me!

She will contact the pdoc, mine did a couple of times...she also got me PRN meds when I ran out and wrote to the Warden in the sheltered housing scheme where I live. She got the crisis team involved when I was in crisis and made sure they knew how real the situation was...I can't praise her enough. She also talked to me about my hobbies, having something uselful to do with my time, and when I came off meds we had an indepth discussion about the pros and cons. She was always supportive.
She also made sure that people and things I didn't want were noted and acted on too......so if you don't want her input with the pdoc, then she would leave you to sort that out for yourself, whichever it is you want.......

Have a bit of a think about what you would like her to do, and what you want in terms of your care - and what you don't want, and share these with her.

A.m.b.e.r

A.m.b.e.r

That is such a helpful link there, thank you. The websites a great source of info for everything. ;)