• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Care Coordinator discharge...

V

Vegay

The Care Coordinator rang me this morning and told me during the call, that 1) she was leaving at the end of the month and 2) we need to discuss me being discharged from the service as she thinks I'm ready.

?!?!?!?!?

I also have to discuss with my counsellor tonight whether I want to continue seeing her or having Psychotherapy through the same service the CC is from.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
Do you feel ready to be discharged?

V

Vegay

Hey.
I mean, I've never found the Care Coordinator overly useful, but now the prospect of being discharged has been mentioned, I don't think I am ready. I tried to harm myself last week and I'm still frequently up and down.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

I'd tell her/him your not ready and why.
Some care coordinators are better than others, hope your next one is better if you get one.
Good luck.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Hey.
I mean, I've never found the Care Coordinator overly useful, but now the prospect of being discharged has been mentioned, I don't think I am ready. I tried to harm myself last week and I'm still frequently up and down.
It sounds traumatic to be losing these supports all at once. I would advocate for
keeling services and work on transitioning to the new care coordinator.
Good luck! xo, j

bpd2020

bpd2020

Wow, is she serious? What an utterly clueless person to ask if you are ready to be discharged. In a way it is good she is leaving as maybe now you can get somebody who can actually support you. I would ask to have another one when she leaves. I think you could do with some more support.

I am sure you and your counsellor will work out an idea that is best for you.

V

Vegay

It seems like I will definitely be getting discharged. The CC wrote me a letter for my work meeting upon my requests but she states in it that I will be getting discharged. There doesn't appear to be an option to stay on. She mentions that is is just a ''time limited, episodic intervention.'' Not sure how she can say this when I harmed last Thursday.

bpd2020

bpd2020

That is not fair. She asked you if you were ready. Did you tell her you did not feel ready?

V

Vegay

When she told me on the phone, I was a bit taken aback so didn't say much. We are talking again on Monday. However, after reading that part of the letter, it makes me feel like I don't have a choice.

bpd2020

bpd2020

I think you should tell her you are not ready. It seems she has pushed this on you without consulting you at all.

V

Vegay

I had no idea until she mentioned it on the phone on Wednesday. I don't think I have a say in this though. I don't know what to do.

bpd2020

bpd2020

If she does not listen to your concerns then you can go back to your GP and tell them you would like a care coordinator again. She cannot just discharge you without your say and then you are never allowed another one. She does not have that power.

W

WhySoSerious

From my experience these questions aren't really questions, they are just a way of telling us we are being discharged.

I wonder what you think would help that hasn't been offered already? Being under a service 'just because' isn't really what the NHS is for in 2020. They expect to know specifics you want. Sometimes we will never feel ready, because we rely on being supported. Again the NHS isn't for that nowadays. Maybe 15 years ago but they arent a bottomless pit of money. Which sounds really harsh but actually very true. It's a shame but trusts are run like businesses, if you don't make progress they won't keep offering support until something changes.

Good luck it's definitely painful

W

WhySoSerious

If she does not listen to your concerns then you can go back to your GP and tell them you would like a care coordinator again. She cannot just discharge you without your say and then you are never allowed another one. She does not have that power.
I'll think you will find the GP has no power in this regard. If the team belieevee you are ready they will discharge, they don't have to get your consent or agreement. Mainly because most people will never feel ready. If they kept everyone who felt not ready professionals would have caseloads of 278398362 people.

In my local area there is a waiting list for CC of 200 people. They will expect very targeted, specific goals that won't run on and on. They also won't accept goals constantly croppin up once one ends. GPs can't allocate CCs. They can re refer but that's all they can do. I have a friend who got referred repeatedly and was told they can't do anything more as he had therapy and that's all they could offer.

bpd2020

bpd2020

I'll think you will find the GP has no power in this regard. If the team belieevee you are ready they will discharge, they don't have to get your consent or agreement. Mainly because most people will never feel ready. If they kept everyone who felt not ready professionals would have caseloads of 278398362 people.

In my local area there is a waiting list for CC of 200 people. They will expect very targeted, specific goals that won't run on and on. They also won't accept goals constantly croppin up once one ends. GPs can't allocate CCs. They can re refer but that's all they can do. I have a friend who got referred repeatedly and was told they can't do anything more as he had therapy and that's all they could offer.
I thought the GP could refer back to MH services? I see I was mistaken. I apologise, Vegay.