• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

caradoc

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
So, we are up and off the ground. But what about some replies from plymouth people. I know of 3 who are on this forum, but there are a hell of a lot more in plymouth. Here are a few questions for you.

* What do you think of Glenbourne?

* What do think of your Mental Health Services.

* Do you Get the support you think you need.

* Have tou got a care plan and know what it says

* What do you know of available alternative therapies

* As a carer do you get the support you need and where to go for support.

* Are you happy with your medication or do you have side effects

* do you use Drop in centres and which ones and are they open when you need them.

* What are your views on spirituallity and belief.

To misqoute Delia Smith:- come on Plymouth, where are yer.:grouphug:

Caradoc

S

sasone2one

Founding Member
cARADOC

Hi Ralph

Is this the email/question you were referring to? Seeing as my son has not been a patient in Glenbourne for quite a few years I can't answer what it's like from my perspective as a carer now to then. Although I do know they have leaflets at the reception for family members and who to contact for support. Tel: Pam Pinder in the community 07887711834 or Lucy Pearce at the Glenbourne

Although I do not think this information is as forth coming in the community, where the carers need most support. Personally I think there should be more work with families, isn't this what is meant by the holistic approach (part of it at least) too many families are left to get on with it alone without any support what so ever. Yet the first port of call when things go wrong.

In my opinion prevention is better than cure, it's too late when people go into a crisis. But mental health legislation and politics prevents this from happening so I guess this is more a national problem than local only.

So, we are up and off the ground. But what about some replies from plymouth people. I know of 3 who are on this forum, but there are a hell of a lot more in plymouth. Here are a few questions for you.

* What do you think of Glenbourne?

* What do think of your Mental Health Services.

* Do you Get the support you think you need.

* Have tou got a care plan and know what it says

* What do you know of available alternative therapies

* As a carer do you get the support you need and where to go for support.

* Are you happy with your medication or do you have side effects

* do you use Drop in centres and which ones and are they open when you need them.

* What are your views on spirituallity and belief.

To misqoute Delia Smith:- come on Plymouth, where are yer.:grouphug:

Caradoc

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
Hi Ralph

Is this the email/question you were referring to? Seeing as my son has not been a patient in Glenbourne for quite a few years I can't answer what it's like from my perspective as a carer now to then. Although I do know they have leaflets at the reception for family members and who to contact for support. Tel: Pam Pinder in the community 07887711834 or Lucy Pearce at the Glenbourne

Although I do not think this information is as forth coming in the community, where the carers need most support. Personally I think there should be more work with families, isn't this what is meant by the holistic approach (part of it at least) too many families are left to get on with it alone without any support what so ever. Yet the first port of call when things go wrong.

In my opinion prevention is better than cure, it's too late when people go into a crisis. But mental health legislation and politics prevents this from happening so I guess this is more a national problem than local only.
I agree, there does seem to be a problem in getting information out to the community. it seems to me to be a case that should be pushed to the front by Service user representatives but frankly I do not hear site or sound of them or even if they exist.
When I lived in Norwich and was a service user rep I personally ran into such a problem. I e-mailed the lead clinician with an outline of events that left my life hanging by a thread. at the next Board meeting she circulated my e-mail to the board meeting and demanded an immediate review by the management team, and got it. The team involved was the crisis response team. (the equivalent of Gateway here). So if user organisations get down to it they can influence the quality of service, but not let themselves be pushed around and ignored.

Frankly damn the politics, Let's stand on our own 2 feet and push for a quality local service. Unfortunately the last one I knew to do this was the CEO of Plymouth MH services who criticised what he found on taking up post, was suspended, found not guilty of spurious charges and then dismissed.

Plymouth MH services are ruled by Dinosaurs who should have left a long time ago. :mad: :evil: :oops:

S

sasone2one

Founding Member
It would be great if the users got together and had a united front in improving the services. All you see are the same old faces and half of them are not singing from the same hymn sheet. New commers with different idea's seem to be pushed out.

Frankly I say Damn the politics, unfortunately some of the politics includes the above and some the dinasaurs you mentioned.

I agree, there does seem to be a problem in getting information out to the community. it seems to me to be a case that should be pushed to the front by Service user representatives but frankly I do not hear site or sound of them or even if they exist.
When I lived in Norwich and was a service user rep I personally ran into such a problem. I e-mailed the lead clinician with an outline of events that left my life hanging by a thread. at the next Board meeting she circulated my e-mail to the board meeting and demanded an immediate review by the management team, and got it. The team involved was the crisis response team. (the equivalent of Gateway here). So if user organisations get down to it they can influence the quality of service, but not let themselves be pushed around and ignored.

Frankly damn the politics, Let's stand on our own 2 feet and push for a quality local service. Unfortunately the last one I knew to do this was the CEO of Plymouth MH services who criticised what he found on taking up post, was suspended, found not guilty of spurious charges and then dismissed.

Plymouth MH services are ruled by Dinosaurs who should have left a long time ago. :mad: :evil: :oops:

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
come on Plymouth

Ok. What do others think? How do users and carers get a voice?
How is new blood got into the system with antibodies to fight the infection?

What have other areas done that has worked and been succesful

Should we :p

Shold we be :sorcerer:

Sold we be :evil:

R

rose

Founding Member
hi

my god , thats fuddled my brain ha ha
anyhoo , dont know glenbourn , but am with elm view at the plymton hospital
since going there 2/3 yrs ago , ive had 4 cpns bcos there just aint enough to go round ,
i found this really stressfull as i need continuity , and when you get a new cpn you have to go through it all again , and build up a rappor with them
anyhow forgot what else was gonna say as my brain has melted from the constant aguing the kids are doing arg:):unsure:

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
my god , thats fuddled my brain ha ha
anyhoo , dont know glenbourn , but am with elm view at the plymton hospital
since going there 2/3 yrs ago , ive had 4 cpns bcos there just aint enough to go round ,
i found this really stressfull as i need continuity , and when you get a new cpn you have to go through it all again , and build up a rappor with them
anyhow forgot what else was gonna say as my brain has melted from the constant aguing the kids are doing arg:):unsure:

Have not had to stay at plympton, but after my fist visit I asked my friend to shoot me first if It was suggested that I should go in. Like glenbourn, it is full of locked doors and security locks. From the outside it looks like the rear delivery area of a rundown factory.

Plymouth MH services are short of practically all levels of staff, mainly because its reputation is so poor nationally, that no-one one wants to come here and don't want it on their CV.

Lets have more feedback fromothers. :welcome::grouphug:

E

ems

Founding Member
Have not had to stay at plympton, but after my fist visit I asked my friend to shoot me first if It was suggested that I should go in. Like glenbourn, it is full of locked doors and security locks. From the outside it looks like the rear delivery area of a rundown factory.

Plymouth MH services are short of practically all levels of staff, mainly because its reputation is so poor nationally, that no-one one wants to come here and don't want it on their CV.

Lets have more feedback fromothers. :welcome::grouphug:

YES ELM VIEW IS LIKE A FACTORY BUT I THINK THAT THE DOCTORS AND NURSES ARE DOING THE BEST WITH WHAT THEY HAVE.
DO YOU KNOW FOR CERTAIN THAT PEOPLE DONT WANT WORKED IN PLYMOUTH ON THEIR CV? WHAT MAKES YOU SAY THAT?
ELM VIEW LOOKS GRIM ON THE OUTSIDE BUT I THINK IT ISNT TOO BAD INSIDE
IT COULD BE WORSE. :hug:

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
:redface:
YES ELM VIEW IS LIKE A FACTORY BUT I THINK THAT THE DOCTORS AND NURSES ARE DOING THE BEST WITH WHAT THEY HAVE.
DO YOU KNOW FOR CERTAIN THAT PEOPLE DONT WANT WORKED IN PLYMOUTH ON THEIR CV? WHAT MAKES YOU SAY THAT?
ELM VIEW LOOKS GRIM ON THE OUTSIDE BUT I THINK IT ISNT TOO BAD INSIDE
IT COULD BE WORSE. :hug:

yes I do know, I have been on interviews for staff, and the standard of applicants was appaling.

On one occasion ther were no applicants at all and so they promoted someone who had major failings in their current post. They should not have posted them, but sacked them. Especially as human life was involved. :mad:

E

ems

Founding Member
POSSIBLY BECAUSE WE DONT KNOW WHAT GOES ON BEHIND THE SCENES WE DO NOT GET TO KNOW ABOUT EVERYTHING. BUT I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THAT WHEN IT CAME TO CHOOSING STAFF FOR NURSING APPOINTMENTS THAT THEY WOULD HAVE TO BE AT A CERTAIN STANDARD.
WHAT YOU SAY MAKES ME WORRIED FOR THOSE WHO ARE IN HOSPITAL FOR TREATMENTS
I THINK IF SOME PROFESSIONALS ARE READING ANY OF THIS THEY WOULD PROBABLY DEFEND IT. I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT STAFF WOULD HAVE TO BE UP TO A HAVE CERTAIN QUALIFICATIONS.
CAN YOU ELABORATE ON WHAT YOU ARE SAYING REGARDING "THEY SHOULD HAVE NOT POSTED THEM BUT SACKED THEM".
ARE YOU A PROFESSIONAL?
WHAT DO YOU THINK MAKES A GOOD PROFESSIONAL WITHIN THE MH FIELD?:confused:

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
POSSIBLY BECAUSE WE DONT KNOW WHAT GOES ON BEHIND THE SCENES WE DO NOT GET TO KNOW ABOUT EVERYTHING. BUT I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THAT WHEN IT CAME TO CHOOSING STAFF FOR NURSING APPOINTMENTS THAT THEY WOULD HAVE TO BE AT A CERTAIN STANDARD.
WHAT YOU SAY MAKES ME WORRIED FOR THOSE WHO ARE IN HOSPITAL FOR TREATMENTS
I THINK IF SOME PROFESSIONALS ARE READING ANY OF THIS THEY WOULD PROBABLY DEFEND IT. I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT STAFF WOULD HAVE TO BE UP TO A HAVE CERTAIN QUALIFICATIONS.
CAN YOU ELABORATE ON WHAT YOU ARE SAYING REGARDING "THEY SHOULD HAVE NOT POSTED THEM BUT SACKED THEM".
ARE YOU A PROFESSIONAL?
WHAT DO YOU THINK MAKES A GOOD PROFESSIONAL WITHIN THE MH FIELD?:confused:

When I say 'human life' I mean more than one and I also mean' loss of' under that persons care. They were promoted to hide failure.

What makes a good proffesssional? one who asks questions and then LISTENS and UNDERSTANDS and does not force preconcieved ideas onto patients and remembers that they are human beings and Gods people as much as anybody else

E

ems

Founding Member
SO MANY DONT REALLY LISTEN. THEY LISTEN WITH THEIR HEAD BUT NOT WITH THEIR HEART.
THE SAD THING IS SO MANY PEOPLE WHO ARE SUFFERING WITH MH SICKNESSES ARE SUFFERING BECAUSE OF EMOTIONAL PAIN IN THE HEART. IF A PROFESSIONAL WAS TO LISTEN WITH HIS HEART THEN THERE WOULD BE HEART TO HEART COMMUNICATION.
SO MUCH OF WHAT IS BURIED IN THE HEART COMES OUT IN THE HEAD AS SICKNESS.
I AM HORRIFIED TO THINK PEOPLE WOULD BE HIRED TO HIDE FAILURE.
WE MUST DISCUSS MORE TOMORROW.
:sleep::sleep::sleep::hug:

J

justlikeawoman

i think i have a pretty nice psychiatrist. when i went to see him last week he asked me about if i had any hallucinations and i started to tell him about something that had happened to me a few days before. he surprised me by saying that maybe i am just one of those people who has premonitions.
what do others out there think about premonitions. vision, voices are they from the head or are they supernatural/spiritual?
and how can we separate the head from the heart? how can we know the difference?
:unsure::tea:as usual:)

M

maudikie

[Many years ago when the National Schizophrenia was started, I visited the up country starting group, and later attended a meeting in Plymouth. There were not many there, and I don't recall much of the meeting - it was too long ago.
Unfortunately I am unable to attend meetings now as I have quite severe arthritis, and have given up driving.
It was very difficult to get any group going in Cornwall because of the distances involved. But I used to keep incontact with members of the Fellowship by phone. Now I have a computer, and keep in touch that way. I have not yet contacted any of the Plymouth Group, but am willing to be contacted by PM should anyone wish.
There is a website - schizophreniawatch.co.uk. which I am sure you would find helpful. The person who runs it and myself have fought for a long time regarding the poor services in the South West Peninsula, and I believe he has now got some response.
Unfortunately Mental ilness is a National problem, and Rethink are running a campaign for 50% more funding. But if we can catch up it will be surprising!
The Mental Health Act 2002 has some changes which I and a colleague do not agree with, particularly for those with severe and enduring mental illness. But it has now passed through Parliament, and at the moment everyone is fighting for funds!
Best wishes to all.​