Can't walk up or down stairs

E

EasternAir94

I forgot to mention this to my psychiatrist so it here it goes. When I'm walking up or down a stairway I subconsciously step at the same time someonelse is stepping. Two sets of feet, one rythmn. For some reason it makes me feel better. I can only guess that if the other person realizes it and they have in the past that it is strange to say the least. I dread and am scared of going up stairs behind someone because I know it's not healthy and I don't want the other person to think anything of it. Is that weird?

N

NorasDad

I forgot to mention this to my psychiatrist so it here it goes. When I'm walking up or down a stairway I subconsciously step at the same time someonelse is stepping. Two sets of feet, one rythmn. For some reason it makes me feel better. I can only guess that if the other person realizes it and they have in the past that it is strange to say the least. I dread and am scared of going up stairs behind someone because I know it's not healthy and I don't want the other person to think anything of it. Is that weird?
I'm just getting the hang of this, but it sounds to me like a typical OCD thing and not weird at all - for us. (It's weird to me to use the word "us" about OCD. I just recently got diagnosed.)

For fears like that, I think the most important step is to accept that you have a compulsion and understand that all you're trying to do with this and all your compulsions is keep your anxiety at an acceptable level. That's what people do.

So don't analyze it - at all. The answer is simple: this is OCD.

So you go to a CBT therapist and they give you homework like going to staircases and putting your foot on the first step over and over until it becomes tedious.

Right? I mean, this is all new to me too.