• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

can't take life..

B

breaking13

I hate my life. I don't want to live. I want to be done with it but I'm scared.
I was trying to ask my son how his day was and what all he did. He wouldn't listen to me so I took his phone away to have an uninterrupted conversation.
He got mad and started hitting and kicking me. He kept telling me he hates me and slamming the door.
I finally started crying and he told me good, keep crying. He hates me. He hit me some more.
I can't take this. I did everything to get him back and this is how it is.
My mom yelled at me and threatened to take me to the hospital. I'm so confused on what I did. My son really hurt me and I'm the one in trouble.
I can't take my life. Everyone hates me. I can't take any of this anymore.
I don't want to live but I can't figure out an effective way with my resources. I don't want to be hospitalized. I want to make sure I do it right.

S

seekingsense2

Being torn about parenting is really difficult when things are though for you as it is. Please just stay safe and let things cool down first. Perhaps some sort of answer will come to you and you can try to resolve some things with your family when you are less emotional. I know that is of no help now. People are always saying 'just stick it out' and all I want to do in that situation is make the pain go away...so I do know it is tough. But please, try to give it a little time. It will be worth it when you are next hugging your son.

katya

katya

I'm so sorry to hear you're struggling like this.

It's really good that you're reaching out to us when you're feeling suicidal; that's a great step. Please try to be kind to yourself right now. Don't trust your suicidal feelings; they're a symptom of your illness, and those feelings aren't telling you the truth right now. You're worth it; you're a good person, and you're trying your best. It's okay to struggle. Things can always improve.

I know it's hard right now because you've just had a really harrowing experience, but things can improve. That's the thing about families; shit happens, things can get back to being better because they always stick together. :)

Am I right in thinking you're a parent who's living with your parents? That's a difficult situation, especially if you've had to fight to get him back.

My brother's in the same situation. He had to go through a lengthy court battle to get custody of his two kids, and he's living at home with our mum and dad. He's depressed and he's finding it hard. The difficulty with that is, is that there are two sets of parental authorities - your kid might be getting mixed signals, 'cause you and your parents might have different parenting styles. My brother and my mum disagree on how to raise the kids, and disagree in front of the kids, which makes them act out sometimes (which makes sense because they're confused).

I watched a Super Nanny episode about a woman in a similar situation; the kid would start to tell the mum that he hated her, and it was down to the fact that the kid wasn't sure who to respond to properly. They put in a rigid discipline system, devised by the mum and the grandparents (based on achieving gold stars on a big, visual table they had on the wall, and time outs given consistently by the mum and the grandparents), and when they started working together more as a unit, the kid started to respond much better to both mum and grandparents.

I'm not trying to assume anything because obviously I don't know your situation, but that might be something to look into - particularly if your mom is yelling at you, 'cause clearly there's a communication breakdown there at some stage, and it's completely understandable that you'd feel frustrated and hopeless in that situation.

You need to remember something: your son does not hate you. Unfortunately a lot of kids go through the lashing out phase at their parents, particularly if there's been some level of upheaval in their lives. He's probably dealing with some emotions he doesn't know what to do with. He does not hate you; you're his mother. He loves you. He will come round.

Don't worry about changing anything for now. Now, your top priority is to look after yourself. I hope you can find something that calms you down - you might want to get out of the house for a little while, go and see a friend, or take a nap, or read a book, or do some meditation. Anything that'll distract you. Then when you feel better you can talk to your mom and work with her as to how to move forward. A nice calm conversation. Then things will begin to get better.

Thinking of you; wishing you the best.

Last edited:
C

Crazy Lady In Stanton

May I ask, how old is your son?

F

facingmyfears

I know this seems unrelated but how old is your son?

B

breaking13

He is 4 turning 5. I guess he feels that I hate him and don't want him as well. I've been trying to make him understand that I love him with all my heart but he doesn't believe me.
I don't want him growing up thinking I don't want him and it hurts me when he says he hates me.

F

facingmyfears

Nah I:panic: doubt he hates you. Most children that age say I hate you to their parent. I think he is too young to understand what is going on with his mommy. It is hard to explain things like depression to a kid. If I had a kid I would just explain in kiddie terms what is wrong with me. Why would you say he thinks you hate him?

Last edited:
katya

katya

He is 4 turning 5. I guess he feels that I hate him and don't want him as well. I've been trying to make him understand that I love him with all my heart but he doesn't believe me.
I don't want him growing up thinking I don't want him and it hurts me when he says he hates me.
He's really young and very sensitive right now. He loves you and know you love him back on some level. Just keep being there for him. I'm so sorry you're going through this. You're doing the very best you can.