• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Can't stop worrying

S

SilverSentinel

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, only signed up today, a little about my mental health, I suffer really badly with an anxiety disorder and really badly with depression. I've been looking for somewhere to get some advice and voice my concerns about my new job. Well its not so much a concern. I love my job, I really do, I work for an amazing company who really value their employees. But ive been there just under 3 months. I have my probation meeting coming up in 2 weeks, and I cannot stop worrying, that what if I haven't done enough to show them my worth, what if they don't want to keep me? Finding a job in my area isn't easy so if I loose this I don't know what ill do, I don't know how strict work places are in regards to probation. My team leader recently said I was doing really well but I've never spoken to my manager 121 and I just can't get out of my head that I'm going to fail my probation. Has anyone else been through this or is anyone a manager who is on the other wise of this, that knows how these decisions are made?

Any advice or previous experience would be amazing.

Sorry for the long ramble

Lunar Lady

Lunar Lady

Forum Guide
Hi SilverSentinel,

Warm welcome to the forum :welcome:

Probation periods really provide a ’try before you buy‘ option to help companies recruit the right staff. It also provides an opportunity for a new recruit to flag up any problems or training needs they have identified in the first few months. It’s just a review to assure you that they are happy with your progress and to ensure that you have settled in and don’t have any regrets about taking the job.

Your enthusiasm and passion for the job shines through in what you have written here and that’s extremely valuable. Skills can be taught but a positive attitude can’t and I have no doubt they have noticed you love the work and they’ll be keen to keep you. The fact that you have been told you are doing really well is very encouraging too.

You have given your best and can do no more than that. I completely understand the ‘What if’ thinking and worrying but the odds of a successful probation review sound high on your own merit.

My best advice is to take the time to feel proud of what you have achieved and to continue bouncing in feeling happy and excited. Worrying will affect your demeanour and the more anxious you feel, the more likely you are to make mistakes. A probation review is generally no more than a formality unless you have been causing problems or they feel your attitude is lacking.

Just carry on as you are. Worrying will not change the outcome and it’s robbing you of proper rest and relaxation. We can support you with suggestions on how to handle the anxiety and talk you through the next few nail-biting weeks. :hug:

Huge well done on what you have achieved so far. You sound like a wonderful asset to this company. X

S

SilverSentinel

Hi Lunar,

Thank you for your kind words, it's really tough, the longer it goes on the more it's overwhelming Me I'm trying so hard to not let it stay on my mind but it's so hard. I've pushed my best friend away, she's the only person I've been talking to at the moment, since lockdown as that is also taking a toll on my mental health. So I don't really have anyone to talk to, I just don't want to keep bringing her down too, she tried to reassure me but it doesn't feel like anything can right now. It's stopping me sleeping well and just impacting everything, I just want to withdraw and until I have my probation meeting then I'll find out.