• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Can't sleep! Anyone else so I'm not alone

F

fightthegoodfight

Just been diagnosed with bi polar,
I go from going to sleep early to up all night nothing in between 😭
You're not alone Hannah! It is still something I struggle with at times. Hang in there. Is there anything calming or relaxing you like to do that is able to cut through the noise/restlessness in your mind at night?

You can also speak with your psychiatrist about options for sleep aids. Ideally they will be able to work together with you to find one that is a good fit. In some cases depending on how severe your bipolar is, some antipsychotics, like seraquel, which I was on until very recently, can be used as supplementary sleep aids alongside their intended original therapeutic use. It just needs to be done carefully.

Here for you if you need it! :hug:

H

Hannahjay85

Dear Hannahjay85,

I recently got diagnosed with bipolar disorder and have been struggling with sleep issues for a number of years now.

When I was manic I couldn't sleep more than 2-3 hours for the life of me. I also suffered from crippling paranoia/hyperarousal that would haunt me in the middle of the night, stopping me from going to sleep for a number of hours. No matter what I tried its like my brain refused to switch off. My pdoc prescribed me aripiprazole (Abilify) which helped with both of these. Now I sleep like a baby. :)

I understand where your coming from. Even before I had bipolar, I've always struggled with anxiety and insomnia. I was never a sound sleeper, I often struggled with anxious thoughts before going to bed. Try limiting your screen time before bed, read a relaxing book and always try go to bed and wake up at the same time each day. Other than that exercise and mediation is absolutely key. Also make sure you take your bipolar medication regularly, if you have it, as this will help you sleep as well.

I hope this helps you.

Best wishes,
-H
Thank you for your reply I'm not even on the correct medication yet as the
You're not alone Hannah! It is still something I struggle with at times. Hang in there. Is there anything calming or relaxing you like to do that is able to cut through the noise/restlessness in your mind at night?

You can also speak with your psychiatrist about options for sleep aids. Ideally they will be able to work together with you to find one that is a good fit. In some cases depending on how severe your bipolar is, some antipsychotics, like seraquel, which I was on until very recently, can be used as supplementary sleep aids alongside their intended original therapeutic use. It just needs to be done carefully.

Here for you if you need it! :hug:
Thank you means a lot x

F

fightthegoodfight

Thank you for your reply I'm not even on the correct medication yet as the

Thank you means a lot x
Anytime Hannah, always happy to answer any questions you may have or when you just want support. You can always PM me as well. Hope you managed to get some rest last night. This forum is very supportive. :)

Direisalone

Direisalone

Sometimes sleep is impossible for me unless I'm so tired I just pass out =/

UpnDwn1978

UpnDwn1978

I've slept for a total of approximately 12 hours the last 5 days. Not much, but better than nothing. It's the weekend now so I'll dare to take some seroquel since I'm not going to work until monday.

B

Blackrose09

I'm in a sleepless state right now. I have a thousand thoughts and ideas in my head and I jump from idea to idea, never getting to start or finish anything and just ending up procrastinating. I also get easily irritated by the slightest thing, have anxieties, exalted moments, deep depression, everything at once. My head is a battlefield and it's impossible to sleep through all the noise.
I feel exactly like you exept for procrastination. Strange thing is antidepressant helped with my mood swings. I asked the doctor if my intese anxiety causes mania he said yes. Than I realise I have mania without being anxious (previously)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
HLon99 Bipolar Forum 1
GaryC123 Bipolar Forum 5
micas Bipolar Forum 2
Zardos Bipolar Forum 1
K Bipolar Forum 5