• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

can't sleep and restless

F

flowerpot

Anxiety stopping me sleeping tonight and I wiggle my toes while I'm in bed through it. Thing is I'm not particularly anxious about anything. Have I got into a habit do you think? Has anyone similar annoyances? Any tips about stopping folks

A

archeryaddict

Just wanted to say I kinda feel the same. I don't fall asleep even when not anxious. Then when am asleep oversleep a lot! Not found a way around it yet, good luck x

F

flowerpot

Ended up with full blown anxiety today. Clenching teeth can't relax. Need time out I think this Christmas lark is too much to cope with. When it comes you can't always think past the anxiety and depression to put into action things uve been advised to do. It'll pass hopefully at least I can tell you and you will understand.

M

Mastiff mom

Dear Flowerpot, I'm sorry you're having such a tough time. getting good sleep is so crucial. Your restlessness couldbe akinesia I believe it' Called- where you are terribly restless and can't sit still. It could also be anxiety or any number of things. Have you seen a doctor? I would. I hope you are feeling better soon. Hugs.

T

Thoth

Anxiety is not a fun place to be in. Irrationality takes place, and everything becomes erratic. I have never figured out how to manage it, whenever it becomes overbearing I often end up 200km's away from where it happened...

Mastiff Mom, it's known as restless legs, you pace around, toss and turn and you just can't sit still. A good dose of diazepam usually does the trick though.

As for sleep, I haven't slept since Wednesday morning.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Yes, I have the same experience.
I can't keep my legs still at night and i'm a (very) long-term insomniac. Had trouble with sleep for at least the past 12 years when it started in my early teens.
Thoth is right in that some benzodiazepines can help, but these aren't drugs that are prescribed willingly by doctors and if they did, they'd only let you have a short course of them because they're highly addictive.

There are alternative things i've found helped - a hot water bottle, putting a pillow under my knees, drinking chamomile tea.

I do think though that it's an overall sign of being anxious.. though some medications can actually give you restless legs (anti-depressants, anti-psychotics).

T

Thoth

Thoth is right in that some benzodiazepines can help, but these aren't drugs that are prescribed willingly by doctors and if they did, they'd only let you have a short course of them because they're highly addictive.
Yes indeed. Diazepam and Temazepam are good quick short-term solutions. They work a treat. I was only on Temazepam for a month or two. The good thing was it worked a treat but I soon reverted back to insomnia again.

Some drugs like Mianserin (AU: Lumin; UK: Norval) is quite a good sedative. It not only is anti-anxiolytic, a sedative, but also an NaSSA anti-depressant.

I do think though that it's an overall sign of being anxious.. though some medications can actually give you restless legs (anti-depressants, anti-psychotics).
Yes, I found Abilify was the worse for restless legs.

A

archeryaddict

Sorry for going quiet flowerpot, I've been away from the forum for a couple of days. Glad others have been helpful though!