Can't seem to stop drinking

P

playstation

I've always been a drinker. Not drinking in alcoholic quantities. Still the time called for me to stop a long time ago and I just can't seem to give up. I get so fed up, bored and lonely at night and it helps. But I shouldn't drink.

I

iWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH2

Have you thought about A A or some other support group? I'm sorry you're so lonely. I can support you. PM me when you get the urge to drink. I'm not a drinker but I do have addictions that are just as bad in the long run. We must support each other. 🤗

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
Have you visited your dr, they can support you and offer local help.
Take care

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i guess i could bring up alcohol with my gp but whats the point they've closed most of the suppport groups, addaction was large groups my social anxiety and some were referred by the courts, the nurse suggested 1 to 1 but they were just going through the motions

aa i turned up at they asked me last time if i'd come to witness i gather that means talking about your alcohol problem and how you've sorted yourself out, i find myself turning up thinking they's worse than me coming home and getting pissed

then there was the junction project when my gp retired i had problems getting a new one i asked for their gp to provide my psychiatric drug turned up and was given a script for methodone

can't help thinking i'm never going to be fit for work and whats the point

megirl

megirl

I have been to AA meetings with a friend I am a person it actually gives me the terrors to talk about myself In front of strangers especially of course I can't even tell my closest friend. It may seem silly but the expectation that I actually am obliged to tell my story?....I'm like so nervous that I start talking shit, pretty much or I just clam up

megirl

megirl

And a group of people who are strangers start looking straight at me for me my anxiety hits the roof

J

Jules5

I have been to AA-no problems i just keep to myself and listen. I do not raise my hand for anything. I liked the meetings as I hear other peoples stories and their struggles with alcohol and some I can really relate to.

C

CaptainFlint

AA would be cool if it wasn't a requirement to bring God into it. I feel like it's trading one vice for another, if you go from dependence on alcohol to dependence on how they tell you to believe in God. The idea, ideally, should be to learn independence and self love without the need to turn to anything external.

Plus, AA coordinators and members are sometimes not really the best pick of the litter. From my experience, there may be plenty of people there that aren't exactly great influences and don't keep you on the right track. I'm definitely not saying that will necessarily be your experience, but just know there are also other alternatives out there, if that doesn't work for you

I think personally, therapy with the RIGHT therapist goes a long way to help the healing or quitting.

And a healthy peer group of your own choosing works wonders. This forum is already a good step