• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Can't remember my time in the ICU?? ***TRIGGER WARNING- Discusses a suicide attempt and mentions hospital***

C

cokezero

Sooo, in November 2019, around Thanksgiving, i had a suicide attempt. I ended up with severe injuries, and spent a few months in hospital (2 months) and then a month and a half in a psychiatric hospital. But the strange thing is, i have almost ZERO memory of being in the ICU, BUT, i remember everything else; i remember being in the ER. The last thing i remember is ICU nurse giving me a call-button for my IV pain medication, which was a very short memory (i think it might have been morphine). Then i have one very clear memory of waking up from surgery and eating a sandwich and throwing up a lot. My only other memory is EXTREMLY foggy and vague and really short, which was talking to a psychiatrist. Then i just remember waking up in the pediatrics ward after my other surgery. I was in there for approximately one week. so why can i barely remember anything??? I don't think it was due to trauma, because i remember everything before they gave me the pain meds, so my theory is that they either sedated me, or the pain medication was naturally sedating. I just want to remember SOMETHING more. Thanks

S

SunnyDaze

Pain meds can definitely affect memory.

But trauma can too. It's common to remember parts of a traumatic event and completely forget other details. Or to not remember the most major part of a trauma. Or to even completely block out trauma altogether.

Are you working with a therapist or other professional?

C

cokezero

Pain meds can definitely affect memory.

But trauma can too. It's common to remember parts of a traumatic event and completely forget other details. Or to not remember the most major part of a trauma. Or to even completely block out trauma altogether.

Are you working with a therapist or other professional?
Yes, i am working with a therapist and a psychiatrist. i am in the process of requesting my medical records from the ICU so i can find out exactly what medication they gave me and what happened to me exactly.

P

Purpleplum

Narcotic pain medication is very sedating....it slows all body processes. That's why if people take too much of it, they often die.

E

EclipticNight

When I had my cancer removed for the first day I kept asking the same question every few minutes thinking I just woke up from the surgery. I still dont remember that day almost at all but I was only in for a day.