• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Can't read because of depression

S

SadRainbow

Same here.

Been to the library a couple of times recently. Hoped to find a couple of books for some escapism. Couldn't even concentrate enough to browse.

K

Kayaker

Same here.

Been to the library a couple of times recently. Hoped to find a couple of books for some escapism. Couldn't even concentrate enough to browse.
:/
I would like a strategy to be able to read. I guess there are none.
Maybe I should just find another hobby.

A

AppleJacks999

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Can't read a book because of depression. This sucks.
Same. I buy loads of books. I sometimes make it halfway through, but I have a lot of difficulty concentrating. Some I bought and never read past the first page. In college I never read the material in Sociology and pasted the class with flying colors. I've since gone back and read the material on my own when I have time...but yeah, I have difficulty concentrating on things that don't interest me. They have to get me interested, but even then, I will eventually burn out halfway through and can't remember much of what I've read.

H

HumbleHubby

I would agree with this, the job I do requires constant financial exams, past 2 years, I'v passed one test and cannot for the love of me sit and study like I used to.

A

AppleJacks999

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I read half my abnormal psychology book, but again, I get to a chapter that doesn't interest me and I forget about it. Also bought a book on Astronomy and made it to chapter 3 and stopped.

Same with my occult books.

A

AppleJacks999

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I learn better by videos.

K

Kayaker

I read half my abnormal psychology book, but again, I get to a chapter that doesn't interest me and I forget about it. Also bought a book on Astronomy and made it to chapter 3 and stopped.

Same with my occult books.
Hell man, that's just like with me. If I ''force read'' through my books, I can't remember what I read some minutes later. This fucking disease sucks everything away from us... I can enjoy videogames some days still, but when it comes to reading, a hobby and a very useful tool for gaining insights and knowledge, then we can't do it like a normal person. i fcking hate it.

K

Kayaker

What I don't know if I should do, is keep trying, because it's getting to the point where it's frustrating and I feel like I'm doing it just by demand and not because I really want to... What you guys think? Should I keep trying? Or just spend my time elsewhere...

A

AppleJacks999

ACCOUNT CLOSED
What I don't know if I should do, is keep trying, because it's getting to the point where it's frustrating and I feel like I'm doing it just by demand and not because I really want to... What you guys think? Should I keep trying? Or just spend my time elsewhere...
That's what I think too. If you want to learn about something, go to youtube and find videos. Takes a lot less time, and there's a lot of information out there. I like to watch videos on social engineering, psychology, mythology and stuff.

K

Kayaker

That's what I think too. If you want to learn about something, go to youtube and find videos. Takes a lot less time, and there's a lot of information out there. I like to watch videos on social engineering, psychology, mythology and stuff.
Sadly, I can't find everything on youtube, on books I can. So it feels bad opting for videos rather than the original books. Feels like I'm getting a knowledge that's been filtered by another person, rather than absorbing that by myself at the source, you feel me? Anyway, I have no choice but to keep trying, is what I realized... like I have no choice but to keep living with my depression and not giving up. I will be doing my philosophy graduation and I don't care about nothing, I'm going to devour books.

A

AppleJacks999

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Sadly, I can't find everything on youtube, on books I can. So it feels bad opting for videos rather than the original books. Feels like I'm getting a knowledge that's been filtered by another person, rather than absorbing that by myself at the source, you feel me? Anyway, I have no choice but to keep trying, is what I realized... like I have no choice but to keep living with my depression and not giving up. I will be doing my philosophy graduation and I don't care about nothing, I'm going to devour books.
You can watch college lectures, see videos of other people's ideas and experiences... I don't know. I've learned a lot. Yeah, books are good, but I've still learned probably a lot more from youtube. I watch a lot of videos on the same subjects. After watching so many their ideas start to match up so I can theorize. Yeah, if you watch one video, you probably won't get much out of it, but I like a lot of videos on the same subject. I do the same when researching anything.

A

AppleJacks999

ACCOUNT CLOSED
If you're not a good reader. It's a good alternative.

K

Kayaker

You can watch college lectures, see videos of other people's ideas and experiences... I don't know. I've learned a lot. Yeah, books are good, but I've still learned probably a lot more from youtube. I watch a lot of videos on the same subjects. After watching so many their ideas start to match up so I can theorize. Yeah, if you watch one video, you probably won't get much out of it, but I like a lot of videos on the same subject. I do the same when researching anything.
I see, I actually watched some philosophy videos on youtube. But the experience I had on reading (when I could read) was so much better. I will keep trying to read more and less media consumption, to see if it helps.