• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Can't keep up with uni, depression taking all the energy out of me

D

depressed_person18

I've been at uni 4 weeks or so and I've already missed handing in nearly all of the assignments I have been given. It takes me several hours to even do a single question and then I just give up. Part of me thinks uni isn't for me and I'm done with it but I just don't have any energy in me and maybe if I got it back I'd be able to cope. But I've just been really depressed and unable to do much at all. I've struggled with depression for years already and I've never had the strength to do anything about it, I've seriously thought about ending my life just to stop the suffering. I can never commit to anything to better myself or just any task in general. I also get panic attacks and bad anxiety. I don't know what I can do any more. I don't even know how to explain fully what is wrong with me... there's so much that I'm not even mentioning here.

P

Purpleplum

Have you seen a counselor or a doctor about it? Going to college when you're depressed is too hard to deal with. You need to go see them to help with how you're feeling.

D

depressed_person18

Have you seen a counselor or a doctor about it? Going to college when you're depressed is too hard to deal with. You need to go see them to help with how you're feeling.
I've never had the courage to go to a doctor in all the years I've been struggling, I'm too anxious to even try

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
It's really important you seek support, nobody can manage this on their own. This forum will be a great help but we all need as much help as we can get.

How are you sleeping?
Good meals?
Fruit and veg
Daily walk
Not too much alcohol
Multivitamins and fish oild.
Vitamin D perhaps.

It is possible a blood test could show there is a deficiency in something that is easily fixed (Iron, B Vits), or some other problem like your thyroid function. A doctor can rule all of that out if you write specific symptoms down, sleep pattern, it will help them help you.

Call for an appointment!
I will be back to check ;)

A

AL123

Hi. You seem very similar to myself. I was suffering with very bad depression and awful anxiety. I didn't want to see a doctor as I too was very anxious and didn't have the courage. From a first had point of view I cannot stress how important it was to see a doctor eventually. They put me on the right path and along with them and the counselling sessions it made me a changed person. The sessions especially helped me out. It is so hard at first putting the right steps in place, but believe me once you do you will be on that same path just like I was and I'm sure as well of many of us on here.

There are so many lovely people on here who are always willing to listen to you and be there for you and advise you in the best ways they can. They too helped me. Hopefully we can hear from you soon.

Ineedhelp2921

Ineedhelp2921

Hey,

I was in your shoes a few years ago (see my very first post). What degree are you doing?

Having known then what I know now, the trick isnt just to work hard but work smart.
Look after yourself. Plan a routine for your work, set goals and talk to your lecturers about the steps you need to take and keep on pestering them if your heading in the right direction.
But also take a regular. break when you can and have fun.

Nearly everyone I talk to has had problems with mental illness which has stemmed from uni. There is a lot of pressure on you guys. But even you fail, you're not a failure. And you dont need a degree to be successful in life (although some professions require a degree) .
There are many different routes and paths, everyones story is different. And that's ok.

HLon99

HLon99

Hi,

First off, I'm very sorry to hear that you are struggling like this. I can relate to many of the things that you are saying. Within the first month of starting university, I began to struggle with my mental health, but I was deeply in denial about it and I cope in very unhealthy ways, by drinking, smoking pot and binge eating. I suffered through the entirety of first year and came close to suicide on multiple occasions. After my first year, I made the decision to take a year out. It took me the better part of a year and a half to seek help, but now I am finally on the right track. My advise is to deal with this as soon as you can. The single worst thing about mental illness for me is having to put your entire life on hold. My only regret is not getting help sooner.

Please go see you GP ASAP.

best wishes,
-H

D

depressed_person18

Hi,

First off, I'm very sorry to hear that you are struggling like this. I can relate to many of the things that you are saying. Within the first month of starting university, I began to struggle with my mental health, but I was deeply in denial about it and I cope in very unhealthy ways, by drinking, smoking pot and binge eating. I suffered through the entirety of first year and came close to suicide on multiple occasions. After my first year, I made the decision to take a year out. It took me the better part of a year and a half to seek help, but now I am finally on the right track. My advise is to deal with this as soon as you can. The single worst thing about mental illness for me is having to put your entire life on hold. My only regret is not getting help sooner.

Please go see you GP ASAP.

best wishes,
-H
Did you take therapy or what exactly got you back on track?

K

karl7

I've been at uni 4 weeks or so and I've already missed handing in nearly all of the assignments I have been given. It takes me several hours to even do a single question and then I just give up. Part of me thinks uni isn't for me and I'm done with it but I just don't have any energy in me and maybe if I got it back I'd be able to cope. But I've just been really depressed and unable to do much at all. I've struggled with depression for years already and I've never had the strength to do anything about it, I've seriously thought about ending my life just to stop the suffering. I can never commit to anything to better myself or just any task in general. I also get panic attacks and bad anxiety. I don't know what I can do any more. I don't even know how to explain fully what is wrong with me... there's so much that I'm not even mentioning here.
@depressed_person18 you should really start seeing a therapist.....uni's usually have a free therapist that you can see.....look in to it.....

HLon99

HLon99

Did you take therapy or what exactly got you back on track?
Well, taking time out did help somewhat. I'm actually Bipolar and I suffer from depression as part of that. Medication did make a huge difference in my recovery. Some give it a bad rep, but being that low, there was no way I would climb out of the hole without some kind of a jump start. Other than that, exercise, meditation, spending good time with friends and family, staying productive and cutting down on alcohol and stopped using drugs.

In answer to your question, my next step would be therapy as I haven't got round to it yet. It has limited efficacy in treating bipolar directly but I also suffer from anxiety and panic attacks alongside and I think it would really help if I was to talk to someone about this.

I suggest, If your really struggling and feeling low, therapy is prob not the right starting point. Your first port of call should be you GP and you really ought to consider medication. After you are starting to feel a little bit better, you should definitely go ahead and try therapy, along with a healthy lifestyle.