• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Can't Get Through The Next Week

J

JulietEC

I've got my children finishing school for the Christmas hols and I don't know how I'll get through it the way I feel.

My mum bullies me and is manipulative and nasty - treats my 12 year old like she's 25 and now the daughter has started treating me badly due to the poor example my mum shows.

Every mother needs encouragement and she deliberately does the exact opposite. She wants my daughter on Christmas Day but not me. She was vile last year and on my birthday.

I need to cut ties - its not going to change. Shes 77. Don't even want to get up tomorrow. Its a real drain on my energy. Shes the main reason I've got entrenched depression.

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I am sorry you are struggling so much with your mum. I think cutting ties is probably a good idea, especially since your mum is trying to put your daughter against you. I know that's a really hard decision to make, especially during the holidays, but your sanity comes first. And I definitely wouldn't let your daughter go to your mum's for Christmas without you. No grandmother should try to put a wedge between her daughter and granddaughter. I hope you will be able to figure out a solution that works for you and your daughter.

J

JulietEC

Thank you - I should've done it years ago but I suppose my daughter should see them as she wants to. I forgot to mention that she (my mother) is insanely jealous of me but it took me a while to work that out. As in any abusive relationship - it escalates and is hugely magnified at Christmas. I have to make sure I am never near my mother in front of my daughter.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Really sorry to hear that your Mum isn't exactly a supportive or loving influence in your life. It must be incredibly difficult. :hug:

Personally, i'd say that if you're mother cannot treat you with the respect you deserve, perhaps she should think twice about whether or not she deserves to see your daughter.

Do you have any other sources of support to help you cope over the next week or so?

J

JulietEC

Not really any other support. Awake and thinking a lot. I hope for peace and quiet and ....just boring stability in the New Year. I just hadn't realised until now the extent of the adverse effect on my health and general wellbeing.

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I hope you can get through the holidays and keep yourself safe.

Sorry that your mum treats you so badly. Do you think a nice Christmas Day just you and the kids might be better for you. Just relaxing for the day?

Marliee x