can't get talking therapy because of diagnosis

D

Default12259

When I was in the mental health team, I found that because they kept telling me everything was being discussed by the 'team' and that people could log into my notes (although that would be recorded), I didn't want to open up to the psychologist the two times a possible appointment was offered - and the offers came when I wasn't doing very well. I felt too paranoid and not at all safe.

Since then I have been discharged by the team, but the local talking therapies through the GP won't see me because of my diagnosis (schizoaffective disorder).

Has anyone else been in this situation where they have said no because of your diagnosis??

It seems an impossible situation - because I can't go back to the mental health team because I find the system makes me worse mentally when I try and engage with it. I simply don't want to tell a group of people about any hang ups.

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

iceblue, it seems incredible to me that anyone would deny you talking therapy because of your diagnosis.

You know, I had that diagnosis at one point and it turned out to be wrong.

I find mental hospitals make me very extremely sick.

You might do well one on one with a counselor.

D

Default12259

iceblue, it seems incredible to me that anyone would deny you talking therapy because of your diagnosis.

You know, I had that diagnosis at one point and it turned out to be wrong.

I find mental hospitals make me very extremely sick.

You might do well one on one with a counselor.
Thanks for replying Poopy Doll. I can totally understand that you found that hospital made you more sick. Sometimes it can be more triggering than helpful.

I feel that I would do much better with a one on one counsellor too. It looks as if I will have to rethink my finances again - maybe cut out the internet and cut down on food - and then I would have some cash to afford a session or two privately.

Last edited:
Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

Thanks for replying Poopy Doll. I can totally understand that you found that hospital made you sick. Sometimes it can be more triggering than helpful.

I feel that I would do much better with a one on one counsellor too. It looks as if I will have to rethink my finances again - maybe cut out the internet and cut down on food - and then I would have some cash to afford a session or two privately.
That's a great idea. So many people just throw their hands up and say they can't afford therapy or find an agency with discounted therapy. I'm so glad to hear you thinking like that.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Talking Therapies 6