• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Can't get sad songs out of my head sometimes

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

Does anyone else ever get sad / emotional songs stuck in your head for hours at a time, and they just make you feel SO depressed and dull and desolate?

I usually wake up with a song already in my head and no matter how much I try to replace it with a different more happy or neutral song, the sad and emotional song is always still just under the surface and re-appears within seconds. I feel trapped in the sadness. The songs are often from years ago and associated strongly with devastating and traumatic times in my life.

Sloshiceangel

Sloshiceangel

Yes indeed. If i hear some sad depressing songs, it keeps repeating again and again in my head and i get negative thoughts and nightmares.

B

Bod

Former member
If I ever get any sad songs in my head that is the time my headphones go on, and then it is just happy and soothing songs.

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

I have to be careful what I listen too because some songs trigger me

Me too! I have an ever growing list of songs I just CANNOT listen to as they were played a lot during very traumatic times. If they happen to be playing in a shop, I must quickly leave. If I can't leave, I have to just endure it and then feel horrendous, numb and re-traumatised all day.

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

Mmmm. I can listen to her more "upbeat" songs and they, and her beautiful voice, relax me. However, certain of her songs are so beautiful but so emotional that I can't listen without feeling...too much. Also, one of the songs was played at my beloved grandpa's funeral when I was 17, and...yeah. I can't listen to that one, as beautiful as it is.

B

Bod

Former member
She started in a group called Clannad, but went solo and she really is good. Plus I like Native American Indian music chanting and Enigma.

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

@Bod, there is a great Clannad sample in a 90's rave tune, I think it was by Chicane.

B

Bod

Former member
Thanks mate.
Even through my depression I have grown very fond of music from Fats Domino to Buddy Holly and some great artists over the years.

M

morty2

Former member
Im the same,,i like some sad songs but dont want to get depressed. I listened to Leeanne Rhimes,"The Story" yesterday as its so emotional,the most emotional song ive ever heard and i love it. I love singing along too. Just thought its actually not about anything that sad,,but emotional telling of what the person has been through.

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

Thanks mate.
Even through my depression I have grown very fond of music from Fats Domino to Buddy Holly and some great artists over the years.

I had the single they did with Bono from U2 in the 80's - In a lifetime I think it was called, as well, great track, I like everything from Delta Blues through Neil Diamond to Death Metal.