Can't get over social anxiety

M

MarkClarke

I don't know if i'll ever get rid of my anxiety i'm too scared to face my fears if that's the the only way to cure anxiety then i'm pretty much screwed i just keep on avoiding scary situations time and time again i don't have to courage to expose myself to anxiety provoking situations, i'm really hopeless and depressed

megirl

megirl

Hi there,
Sorry you're struggling so much,
I dont think exposure therapy works for all people. I had a friend that tried this and she kept getting more traumatized.
And no you're not hopeless,that's what depression makes us think.
I dont suffer from social anxiety itself,general anxiety.
Often depression and anxiety come in one. Are you getting treatment or medication with this

G

George10111

You're not alone. You can talk to anyone here and you'll get utmost support. Social anxiety is very hard to live with. A lot of the time it comes from past instances of pain and embarrassment. Don't lose hope. You can get better.

R_Sxo

R_Sxo

Hey there!x

That's okay! Most people don't 'get over' or 'cure' anxiety, they simply learn how to adapt to it and prepare for situations as and when they come. Managing the situation can be as important as reducing the anxiety itself!x

Much love <3

L

Louise2001

Hi. I’ll new here. Just wanted to see A does anyone else feel like they are too quiet to get a partner? Or feel if you manage to see friends you feel like you sit there saying nothing, and are told by several people why are you so quiet?

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I’ve suffered crippling social anxiety for years. My CPN was telling me I had agoraphobia because of how scared I was of going out and I told her it wasnt open space I was scared of it was meeting people. But you do have to push yourself or else you will become completely isolated. Set yourself small challenges. Maybe just walking to your garden gate and standing there for five minutes. You’ll probably think your heart is going to burst but the more small steps you take the easier it will become

Are you seeing anyone for this because there are meds that you can take that will help

L

Louise2001

Hi. Thanks for replying. Yeah I’ve taken setraline for a few years, hopping to start CBT soon too

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

It can be scary even terrifying, and you're anxiety will hit the roof for a while, but after that it subsides.

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

I think it's called 'stop accommodating your anxiety'.