• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Can't get diagnosed

E

english rose

I am certain that I've got CPTSD but doctors do not now nor have they ever treated me respectfully - they just think I'm a hypochondriac (they don't say this but I know they think it), they are so rude to me. I have had nightmares nearly every night for the last 30+ years, these nightmares are based on past experiences in my life, I am always bogged down with my problems, however there were a few nights in a row recently when I was nightmare-free, this occurred at a time when I was completely obsessed with the situation of someone else other than myself, to be honest I'm still obsessed with this person & their situation (and it's very bad indeed) - but thoughts relating to myself are creeping back in to my mind during the day when I'm awake & as a result the nightmares are coming back when I'm asleep at night.

S

SunnyDaze

What kind of doctors are you seeing for this? Mental health professionals?

Have you been diagnosed with any other mental illness?

How are you approaching the doctors? Are you asking to be evaluated for cPTSD or are you telling them you know it's what you have?

Have you discussed the traumas that you've experienced that make you think you have it?

E

english rose

I have discussed my traumas with a counsellor - nothing to do with my GP, it is the GP I've told I believe I have CPTSD, I have been diagnosed with depression (I'm on continuous medication for that) & anxiety & Aspergers.

S

SunnyDaze

Maybe you should talk to your counselor about whether you may have cPTSD or not? If she/he isn't able to evaluate or diagnose maybe they can set you up with someone that can?

E

english rose

My counselling finished some time ago, they only do 12 (I think it was 12, might have been 10 though) sessions.

S

SunnyDaze

I'm not sure where you're from or how things work where you are but maybe start counseling again?

If you're wanting a cPTSD diagnosis and treatment for it you'll need to see someone who can diagnose you with it.

Where I live a GP can unofficially diagnose things like anxiety and prescribe meds but for something as serious as PTSD/cPTSD a mental health professional would be needed.

E

english rose

I don't particularly want to start counselling again, when I had the last lot of counselling I went to a place where I'd had counselling before & requested to see the same counsellor but they allocated me a different one - that was okay as both counsellors were nice (unlike many doctors I've seen - whether they be GPs or psychiatrists), with the first counsellor I mainly discussed issues in the present that were causing me distress, with the second one I specifically wanted to relate in chronological order my life-story with emphasis on childhood, I did that & it felt good to unburden myself - but it has not "cured" me.

Passionflower

Passionflower

I don't think CPTSD is a recognised diagnosis in the UK, that is if you are in the UK?

S

SunnyDaze

I don't particularly want to start counselling again, when I had the last lot of counselling I went to a place where I'd had counselling before & requested to see the same counsellor but they allocated me a different one - that was okay as both counsellors were nice (unlike many doctors I've seen - whether they be GPs or psychiatrists), with the first counsellor I mainly discussed issues in the present that were causing me distress, with the second one I specifically wanted to relate in chronological order my life-story with emphasis on childhood, I did that & it felt good to unburden myself - but it has not "cured" me.
What is it that you would like then?

I'm confused. You seem upset because you weren't given a diagnosis of cPTSD yet you're not wanting to see someone that could possibly diagnose you.

You could try self help. Pete Walkers website is very helpful. There's lots of YouTube videos,lots of books,lots of info online and ways to help yourself.

I have a PTSD diagnosis. Only because cPTSD is not in the DSM btw(I am in the US)

Ps. Unburdening by talking is helpful but by no means a cure. It takes lots of therapy to even put a dent in it

S

SunnyDaze

I just want recognition.
Who do you want recognition from? And for what purpose?

I was diagnosed with PTSD within the first couple/few therapy sessions. My therapist recognized it right away,even without me talking about any past traumas at all.

There's specific symptoms and behaviors that go along with it, and I was totally unaware that I was exhibiting them.

Maybe although you've had past traumas it's possible that your counselors didn't feel you met the criteria for the diagnosis or they would have diagnosed you?

I know cPTSD differs some in symptoms from PTSD but a person must have PTSD in order to have complex PTSD. (cPTSD is PTSD, but complex because it usually involves other things such as a personality or dissociative disorder, etc).Are you having PTSD/cPTSD symptoms other than nightmares? If you are I really think seeking out a trauma therapist would be a good idea.

E

english rose

Who do you want recognition from? And for what purpose?

I was diagnosed with PTSD within the first couple/few therapy sessions. My therapist recognized it right away,even without me talking about any past traumas at all.

There's specific symptoms and behaviors that go along with it, and I was totally unaware that I was exhibiting them.

Maybe although you've had past traumas it's possible that your counselors didn't feel you met the criteria for the diagnosis or they would have diagnosed you?

I know cPTSD differs some in symptoms from PTSD but a person must have PTSD in order to have complex PTSD. (cPTSD is PTSD, but complex because it usually involves other things such as a personality or dissociative disorder, etc).Are you having PTSD/cPTSD symptoms other than nightmares? If you are I really think seeking out a trauma therapist would be a good idea.
I have to rely on the NHS, I can't afford private treatment.