• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Can't cope with work.

B

bex2502

Hello, I am 23 years old and have suffered with anxiety and depression since around 14. I have been working full time for the last 3 years. Over the last year I have found it more and more difficult to cope with working. I find myself hating it and never wanting to go. All i really want to do is quit but I'm scared of what will happen as i live on my own. I have been on and off medication for years as I always end up forgetting to take my meds. I make appointments with my GP but never stick to them as i feel like I am wasting their time what with stopping and starting meds. I wish i had never been born but know i wouldn't harm myself as i am too scared. I have bad mood swings and have wondered if i have an undiagnosed condition as well. I haven't seen a psychiatrist since I was about 18.
Sorry for the lengthy post but i appreciate any help or advice anyone can give me.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Welcome to the forum.

First of all, I think you know that not keeping appointments probably isn't good.
Even if you don't particularly want to follow a GP's advice, I think it's worth continuing to see them so that they have a record of how much you're struggling.
I think that professionals presume that if they don't hear from you then you're ok - and that's not always the case.
With regards to medication - I wouldn't want to pressure you either way. But I do think that you need to make a decision whether or not you want to take them, and stick to it.
Do you find that you genuinely forget? Or is it something else?
I have found a pill organiser (with little boxes for each day of the week) helps give me a visual cue to remind me to take my meds.

Am not sure of your housing situation, whether you own or rent or whatever, but if the worst case scenario happens then you might be able to claim housing benefits and other benefits if you weren't able to work.

I wonder if it's possible to have some time off of work, perhaps a week or two, and in that time try to commit to making and attending a doctors appointment so that you can put extra support in place for the long-term?

B

bex2502

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have already had 3 months off work (jan 2014 to april 2014) due to depression and am worried about taking more time off.
i do find that I genuinely forget to take meds but like your idea of an organiser of some kind.
Of course I am aware that I shouldn't avoid my GP and I am going to make an appointment and stick to it.
I don't want to make any rash decisions and just quit work but feel like this is the only way I am going to feel happier again

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I can understand your reluctance to take time off.
But at the end of the day, you're not choosing to have your issues with mental health.
I think that the fact you are sensible enough to know that you don't want to make an impulsive decision to quit is all the more reason to take some time off, to hopefully clear your head and ask yourself if your job is ultimately helping you or hindering you.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I found when I didn't take the time off I have walked out of jobs. Sometimes it is necessary. Without knowing your situation its hard to comment regards bills that need paying etc but I'd definitely advise taking time off and maybe look to finding a new job if your current one makes you not want to go in. I've done a few but now have found a job I don't hate doing, just have days where I don't feel happy enough

E

Elle-X

Hi Bex. I agree with SomersetScorpio's comments that it's important to try and keep your GP appointments; not only will it help them to identify how much you're struggling but there may also be a 'breakthrough' moment where you make a decision either way about medication etc. Sitting in the waiting room at the Doctors and thinking you're about to waste their time is something that has happened to me too - try and remember that you have as much right to be there as anybody else and that you need looking after too.

M

mistaken-identity

I find work incredibly difficult too