Cant afford therapy

P

psglo

19 year old engineering student living in Canada. I have a history of trying to kill myself, I am severely depressed. As a last resort, I turned to a therapist, because I thought my insurance covered it. I am 4 sessions deep and my therapist told me my insurance didn't go through. I can't afford to pay her (finance is something I struggle with as a 19 year old student making $12 an hour and paying $8000 a year for school).
My parents are divorced and both abusive towards me, despite working/schooling 7 days a week all day (I don't hang out with friends at all during school season).
I am at a loss. Everyone who I talked to about my problems told me "I think you should get help", but there is no help. I can't afford help. I am closer to killing myself.
My parents put me down constantly, I cannot sleep at night, I cannot focus on school, and I can't afford help. I am at a loss.
Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kerome

Kerome

It sounds like a really difficult situation, psglo. Therapy for depression can be effective but it’s not short term, a friend of mine is getting an intensive 5-session a day inpatient course over three months for his depression and substance abuse paid for by insurance. But it depends very much where in the world you live, whether this kind of help is available.

I’d say that the most important thing in your situation is to create for yourself a supporting environment. Look at the things that enable you and make life bearable, and get more of those. Then look at the things that drag you down, and get less of those. Make an effort to stay in the present moment, don’t worry about the past or the future. Connect to people who have a positive effect on your life, cut down on your time with people who have a negative effect on your mental health. Friends are an important part of that.

Sleep is important. If you’re not sleeping well, make looking into sleep hygiene your first stop. If necessary contact your doctor for some temporary sleep medication. Share your situation with your doctor and let them contribute their viewpoint.

Cazcat

Cazcat

Hi I don't know how the health system in Canada works. It would be worth discussing with your Dr to see if there are any state funded schemes or charities for people with mental health problems in your area. Make sure the Dr knows that you are feeling suicidal. Another option would be to see if your educational establishment offer any therapy or mental health support as a lot do. You could discuss this with student services or one of your tutors. Also do they do any emergency grants or loans for students as again some do this.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

Forum Guide
hi
welcome x
well i know it isn't nearly the same as having therapy but you have us now and we will do all we can to support
you
welcome
love Lu x

P

psglo

Just for your own information, the healthcare system in Canada does not cover mental health for adults, only your insurance company can cover that, else you will be paying a minimum of $80 an hour (unless we're talking group therapy, or free for children or women).
We do not have emergency grants, instead my school offers therapy/counseling services by social work students(which is a little stupid in my opinion). I've had a history of therapists and psychiatrists/psychologists ranging from $80-$180 an hour when I was younger (16) because I was still a "child" and it was covered, but every therapist seemed equally trivial to my recovery, most just listened to me rant and had nothing to say afterwards, which just made me feel even more helpless. That being said, I am doubtful a 3rd/4th year counseling student would would be anymore beneficial than any of the registered psychologists, social workers or psychiatrists.
They do have a government funded mental health institutions for children, women, but not men (because men obviously don't need help). I used to be covered when I was under 18, but as stated, I am 19 and male, so I can no longer reap those benefits.

Cazcat

Cazcat

That is really rubbish. Not sure what else to suggest other than mental health charities (and suing the government for age and sex discrimination)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soulsearcher Depression Forum 6
P Depression Forum 5