• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

cant accept my diagnosis

BlueBerry

BlueBerry

I've heard a lot of people feel like that about a diagnosis, so you're not alone sweetie. :hug:

Heck, I may receive a diagnoses within the next month or so and I'm already worried that it'll be the wrong one.

R

Rose19602

Well, if they've labelled you schizoaffective with your history (from the little I know of it)....they're looking at symptoms linked to trauma more than anything else IMO.

Sorry to be dissenting and non accepting, but I'm with you Judazz....it's a load of rubbish. I wouldn't accept it either.

You have my empathy and respect for chucking it out!
What a load of tripe.
x

Gajolene

Gajolene

I can relate to this coming from a family that didn't accept mental illness in any form and thought of something you could just toughen up and get over. It took me a long time to accept my illness and that medications were needed to help me cope through. I experienced a lot of guilt and shame over it and looking back now, what I needed was support and acceptance. I had to do that for myself, it didn't come from family or my peers. Mental illness is every bit as real as any physical illness. A diagnoses for me helped me to validate that something was wrong that I could not just fix myself. That I needed help from the medical community if I was going to start on the path to real recovery. It actually was a weight lifted off my shoulders when my diagnoses did come through. Hopefully you can come to see it that way as well Judazz as I know you need all the help and support you can get. Huge huge huge hugs.

C

Christobel

I for one know that it is very hard to deal with the schizoaffective diagnosis, especially if it is given to you in an insensitive way as mine was. My husband has never accepted the diagnosis so we just don't mention it. Now in a strange sort of way I think it is quite sexy to be a schizo! I think I'll get that put on a t-shirt!

F

firemonkee57

I can relate - I get this too. I also think other people are fake. It is all a bit of pointless mind trickery.
I thought it was just me and in terms of other people-my paranoia.

RainbowHeartz

RainbowHeartz

omg thank you so much everyone for your responses

sending hugs to everyone

:grouphug:

Jonwal

Jonwal

I can relate - I get this too. I also think other people are fake. It is all a bit of pointless mind trickery.
i feel like coward coz i feel its my choices that make me this way n thats why i feel fake coz i give into stuff i dont realise st time i dont have to do and if i didnt i could feel really good about myself

B

ballerina123

somethimes I wonder if I have schizoaffective or if Im just a person that doesn't deal with stress very well. My team say Im psychotic now but I don't believe them I just think Im stressed.
I think we all at some point question our diagnosis.

B

ballerina123

I found the sooner I accepted my diagnosis the easier it was to manage. Im very aware of my symptoms not and manage them quite well with good medications.
could you read up more on schizoaffective disorder? CBT is really good for helping manage the odd thoughts and mood swings.

Gajolene

Gajolene

Ballerina123 you posted a couple days back what you were doing before they increased your meds, that kind of thing is a psychosis of some sort. I'm no psychiatrist but I live with people with psychosis' one has permanent psychosis, the other episodal psychosis with his disorder. Part of this is not being aware that the thoughts your having can be of a psychotic nature and your moods ie rages if you have them also are signs your going through psychosis .

Thoughts like the ones you were having that lead to irrational actions such as you were doing are like Porkpie said not only serious but very dangerous to you and to others around you. That's not something that CBT can really help with if your off your meds, but as long as you stick with them and they are working it should be something you can work through. Considering the severity of your thoughts I urge you to stick with them both. The meds and the therapy.

Last year a very good friend of mine was killed by a young man with scitzoaffective who was off meds, we, the victim and I had been trying to convince the young man to seek help, but he didn't think anything was wrong with the thoughts and things he was doing either. He simply wasn't aware of how serious or dangerous his thoughts were or of the fact that they were psychotic in nature and now he's spending a good part of his adult life in prison over what he did to my friend, in a manic rage and irrational thought moment, and very possibly not getting the proper medications he needed so much as well. It's a very sad situation for both my friend whose life ended so suddenly and tragically and the unmedicated lad who had no support and was thrown out by family and now has his life completely ruined.

If people/professionals you know and trust say you were psychotic at the time, try to trust that they were right and you may not have been aware of it.

That being said I'm glad the increase in your current medications is helping you function and control your moods much better. I just thought it important to tell you that out of concern.

Last edited:
E

ekipS

I was diagnosed Schizoaffective in 1998. I didn't agree, I didn't see similarities when i read descriptions online. They'd got it wrong! Years of meds later, plus ECT, I now accept. I'm still on prozac but no antipsychotics - so almost med free.
I now realise that 'They' are just trying to describe me as an individual and thats almost impossible. lol. The demons/devils don't play as big a part in my daily life but they are still there watching and whispering. At least it gives me something to laugh insanely at. I like laughing.
In my case 'They' said that I've probably been like it since I was a teen. It eventually sank in that 'I hadn't changed!' So, these days - when I dare, lol- try and encourage me to be me.
To all out there. I really wish that you could share my world - its so much fun- but SERIOUSLY hope you never do and I mean that!
Take care and try to live in the here and now.

Feel free to laugh if you see humour. I laughed with every word I wrote.