• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

cannot cope with this - I cannot afford to live here on my own

R

riverofdragons

my ex (also my carer) moved his gf in, in September. She now wants them to move out. I cannot afford to live here on my own so it means I need to find somewhere to live.

Im scared because I don't know if I will cope alone. I don't think I will deal with moving house very well. I don't have any support other than him. I cant cope with this on top of everything else.

If I just end things now I don't have to go through all the pain and stress...

E

eternaljourney

No, don't.
Is there any possible way of viewing having them move out as something positive?
An opportunity to make some changes maybe, even if it's just to move everything around and have some space?
Would it be a bad thing to find somewhere different that you can afford alone?

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

I agree with eternal journey a fresh start may be just what you need after all it cannot have been much fun living with your ex and his new girlfriend!

R

riverofdragons

I am viewing things with a bit of distance today. I have applied to go on the council housing list. I don't know if I will actually move any time soon but I think I do need the option.

I hate being dependant on my ex but i do need support to live. Simple things like emptying the bins and getting in and out of the bath. Not to mention that I can actually be a danager to myself at times through self harm and stupid stuff like leaving the oven on, and once turning on the hob then putting my stereo down on it.

I can see a lot of ways I would be happier living independantly, but I know I would be so lonely. I currently see my psychiatrist bi-monthly but have no other support. I would hope they offer me more support but if they don't what do I do then? I'm scared of making things worse for myself.

E

eternaljourney

I'm so glad you can see some positives to your ex moving out. I'm really sorry that you have so many worries about not having a carer and being alone, I really do hope that when you see your psychiatrist that you'll be offered some form of home help.

iffybob

iffybob

Check to see if there is a "Housing support scheme" in your area ... they may be able to help you .... your cmht should know ... get themm to sign ypu up for that , its not perfect but wil take some of the presure off .....

somthing like the "OnTrack" scheme in my area ...

E

eternaljourney

Are you ok Riverofdragons?
I just wondered if anything has come up for you about help at home and whether you're still as worried about everything?

R

riverofdragons

Hey, today I am feeling really good.

I looked up about the housing support team and we do have one in Cambridge - they will work with you for up to 2 yrs, so thats really positive. Thanks for the tip, its always helpful to know the name of what you need.

I am feeling good because I feel like I made two close friends today. This is something that hasn't happened to me in years. Two people I have been working with on The Tempest (a show I am producing and being deputy stage manager for - this in its self is proof that the new meds are helping) confided in me today about past and present depression/psychosis and I felt honoured they felt they could trust me. I just cant get over how good it has made me feel.

It even makes me feel slightly less hesitant about livin alone....friends outside of my ex...wow. Thank you guys so much too...your support with this issue has meant the world to me. You all make me feel like I could make it on my own.

(also got chatted up...lol...ten years to young for me...shame..lol)

Feeling warm and fuzzy inside right now.

E

eternaljourney

Brilliant! Glad everything feels so much better from the other day for you and that you have people there for you;)

iffybob

iffybob

yep that sounds like it .. good luck ... boB ... (y)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ghost_Owl Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1