• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Cannabidiol, a Cannabis sativa constituent, as an antipsychotic drug

S

schizzzoid

The higher the CBD content, the less likely you are to get off the settee! (y)

A

Apotheosis

If they developed an anti psychotic based on natural CBD extracts - then I would prefer taking it than the present anti-psychotic rubbish that I am on.

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
If they developed an anti psychotic based on natural CBD extracts - then I would prefer taking it than the present anti-psychotic rubbish that I am on.
What anti psychotic are you on?
I want to stop taking olanzapine because of the weight gain.

A

Apotheosis

Amisulpride 175mg. I am considering asking the psych to up it to 200mg. & will ask if I can get some sleepers, but they seem very reluctant to give me any.

As anti-psychotics go; Amisulpride isn't a really bad one. But I have had the weight gain, breast enlargement, sexual dysfunction, & I also put down the bad dreams, anxiety & other assorted stuff, to the long term taking of this drug. I have been on it 11 odd years. Original dose they gave me was 1200mg - I'm very glad that I have got it down so low.

I have taken 5mg of Valium tonight. I'm not prescribed it; but very rarely I will take a low dose of it. It helps when I have been feeling very anxious; as I have done the past couple of days. I can get hold of it from the street - & I have told the MH team that; but they won't prescribe it - how mad is that!?

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
They wont prescribe me valium either.No chance!So I smoke cannabis.
You've done well to get your amisulpride to such a low dose.
I see my psychiatrist on the 20th October.He'll find out about my cannabis smoking as I've told my CPN.I was having a winge about losing my drivers license and blurted it out.I'm going to ask him to take me off olanzapine and put me on seroquel.I'm not sure how he'll react though.

A

Apotheosis

When I don't want meds they pump me full of them - & when I do want meds they won't prescribe them - they are all as mad as hatters themselves.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KVzyGQPgVN8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KVzyGQPgVN8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]​

schiz01

schiz01

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E_LfsN7zdr4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E_LfsN7zdr4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

A

Apotheosis

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/umN2x2t7i5s&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/umN2x2t7i5s&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]​

schiz01

schiz01

For those thinking of making your own.....beside it being illegal it would take 1 pound of cannabis to produce 9 grams of CBD.At 1200 mg per day that would be roughly a weeks worth.

While some might raise their eyebrows at the low
amount of CBD present per pound of cannabis, it is important to know that there is 10 to 100 times more CBD
per pound of cannabis than Vit C per pound of fresh oranges, for oranges 3 months old it would require 20 to
200 times as much raw material to produce an equivalent 500 mg daily dose.

R

rasselas

CBD

We have the so-called War on Drugs to thank for the taboo/restriction on cannabis research. It's such a complex drug, and the research on THC and CBD, while at last picking up apace, has been set back a good 30 years. Still, the CBD stuff looks incredibly promising. And with over 40 or so other canninbinoids in cannabis there's lots and lots to be discovered.

Of course, organically (and we have a holistic cannibinoid system in our bodies/brain) CBD might prove to be a far more ethical approach to the amelioration of psychosis than anything in the current pharmacological canon.

However, don't expect them to use CBD directly extracted from cannabis. More likely is the attempt to synthetically recreate CBD in the lab. That means it can be patented and big bucks can be made.

Nature cannot be patented. She's an anti-capitalist! :p

schiz01

schiz01

We have the so-called War on Drugs to thank for the taboo/restriction on cannabis research. It's such a complex drug, and the research on THC and CBD, while at last picking up apace, has been set back a good 30 years. Still, the CBD stuff looks incredibly promising. And with over 40 or so other canninbinoids in cannabis there's lots and lots to be discovered.

Of course, organically (and we have a holistic cannibinoid system in our bodies/brain) CBD might prove to be a far more ethical approach to the amelioration of psychosis than anything in the current pharmacological canon.

However, don't expect them to use CBD directly extracted from cannabis. More likely is the attempt to synthetically recreate CBD in the lab. That means it can be patented and big bucks can be made.

Nature cannot be patented. She's an anti-capitalist! :p
All comes down to money in the end doesn't it
If i remember right the guy in the lab coat said they were trying to breed strains that would produce more CBD which would make it viable.....Maybe that was his way of saying we haven't figured out how to synthesize it yet

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Schizophrenia Forum 8
H Schizophrenia Forum 0