• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

cancelling private therapy session

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
do you think it is okay to cancel sessions? i see a private therapist usually once a week but i find it very anxiety inducing and leaves me unable to do anything for half the week and i need to do lots of work for next few weeks. but i already booked in a session on 17th. i see her tomorrow too. i want to cancel the one on 17th though. is that okay? is it rude?
i am seeing GP a lot so i cant really cope with the stress of seeing them both every week!

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I don't think it's rude at all, especially if you're giving them a week's notice.
I have private counselling and have had to cancel appointments, for all kinds of reasons.

I'm sure they'll be understanding. :)

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I don't see it as being rude at all.

You have to focus on your studies. As long as you feel you can cope then a break should be fine. Also you do need a break every now and again.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I don't think it is about being rude IMO.
It is a business and you are being provided a service. There will be rules - say cancel within 48 hours of your appt.
You are free to do as you please, but the rules are there so they can deal with your payments, in terms of the customer.

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
Thanks. :) i will try to bring it up tomorrow.

R

Rose19602

If you have other support and need time to "deal" with the aftermath of therapy, ask for sessions every 2 weeks perhaps?

She may think that you need the therapy once a week initially though....lots of therapists do.....

But cancelling is fine as long as you give the required amount of notice. My concern would be whether or not I would get charged for a cancelled session!!
x

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
i missed a session before as i go the wrong bus and was charged half. but i think if you give notice i wont get charged.

i would like fortnightly sessions or even better once a year sessions. lol but parents who are paying say once a week is better.
she said at the start that after xmas maybe go to once every 2 weeks but since the initial sessions it hasn't been mentioned.

Q

Quickduck

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Fortnightly sessions should be ok; the therapy is there to help you and if ever 2 weeks is easier and causes you less stress then I don't see why that should be a problem. :hug: xx

pepecat

pepecat

Does your therapist know how anxious you get about therapy? And is the therapy to help address social anxiety? (I may have that wrong, in which case, apologies).
Sometimes, the fact that we don't want to go to therapy is a sign that that's exactly when we should go, because issues are being brought up - hence the increase in distressing feelings- so rather than avoid them by not going , often going to therapy is the best thing to do.
But, if it's causing you that much anxiety and stress then fortnightly might be better. I'd talk to your therapist and see what she says.

There is a difference though between not going because 'it's hard and I don't like it' and 'it's causing me massive disruption in the rest of my life' - which in that case would suggest fortnightly would work better. But only you and your therapist know that really.

Therapy is hard...... Really hard work, and if its causing you bother, maybe start slow (fortnightly) and work up to it?

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
She knows i get anxious about seeing her, i am not sure she know the extent though. Yes the therapy is in the end going to help with social anxiety.
I think on an ordinary week I can deal with it, it is just atm it an extra stressful time due to a number of factors. I feel it is better for me long term to go every week otherwise it is just another form of avoidance.

R

Rose19602

I would talk those other "stressful" factors through with your therapist and see what she says. Sometimes it's busy lives and deadlines rather than avoidance....so give yourself some credit and make a decision which is based on reducing pressure and being realistic. I'm sure you are capable of that.

Afterall, your parents, if paying, may appreciate bi-monthly sessions! It's a lot of money.

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
i actually managed to ask her in the session. :D i am shocked. i never thought i would be able to but i did.

R

Rose19602

Hey well done you! It's more difficult planning it than doing it when you have anxiety isn't it?
Better not to build up too much, then just take the bull by the horns and DO IT!

I used to have to do a lot of public speaking...which terrified me.....the first time I did it my mouth dried out so badly that my tongue literally got stuck to the inside of my mouth and I couldn't speak. The more I did it, the better it got. I still get scared in those situations today, but I've learned to just make myself do (most) things that scares me, as I know that if I don't it will just turn into something I avoid!

Having said that, I'm avoiding my GP at the moment! Ha! Pot /kettle / black!!

...But good for you! What was her answer btw?
x

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
she said yes in the end. i think she wasnt keen at first but i cant really remember why or what i said.