• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Can your meds stop working?

P

phoenixx

hi im new.. was diagnosed with paraniod schizophrenia last year after spending time in hospital was given respiridone to tackle my haluccinations and auditory voices i belived there was a conspiracy out to get me my house was bugged and i was being broacasted all over my neighbourhood the tv my stereo and mp3 were sending me messages as well as car lisence plates i felt so unsafe i even started to belive that demonds were possesing poeple to find me and kill my son who is 10 years old he also has autism i started carring a knife around to protect him untill these voices told me that my neighboor was working with my friend against me they told me to kill her i was so desperate i started self harming thats when my family realised i needed help i was sent to hospital and my son was told i was staying at my nans house to look after her for a while so family took care of him it was a very difficult time i have only just began to realise how serious it all was resperidone did workit supressed all my emotions i was zoned out on it, also it stopped my periods for a year and so much weight gain am now on seroquel (quetiapine) have been steady for 3 months but am now experiencing paraniod thoughts people talking about me knowing personal information following me i even think that demonds are trying to contact me through my sleep as i am having very disturbing nightmares suddenly can you become imune to this drug? i fear i may be relapsing i havent spoken to my careworker about this what should i do i feel depressed and aggitated especially wen outside my son reqiures alot of looking after am worried my meds have stopped working is this possible as i was going steady for 3 months havent left the house much during that time period as i get anxois but was feling alot calmer at home but not at present. anyone had this happen is it my meds can they stop working? sorry this is so long tried to be brief... any one had this happen..

A

Apotheosis

Hello. I can identify with a lot of that; & it is typical of the experience of schizophrenia. I have the same diagnosis.

Psychiatric medication is not a cure, it has never been a cure, & it likely never will be. Although maybe they will produce more effective meds? when is another question. Largely I think that meds mask symptoms; at best some people appear to respond well to them, while in others meds don't appear to work.

Meds can play a part in helping us to feel better - but personally I think that it is better to focus on a whole range of things that can potentially benefit & help us. Things like social support, alternative therapies & remedies, talking therapies & psychological help, relaxation & meditation, mental & physical exercise, good food & healthy living, laying off & stopping substance misuse; the list goes on.

There are many factors that influence mental health. & in my experience there have been many things that have helped me recover a better quality of life. Things like reducing stress, having good friends that I can chat with, eating well, & being sober, etc etc. Many things in fact. I have also found alternative healing to be very beneficial, especially Reiki, Shamanism & Spiritual healing.

I don't think that there are any quick fixes with this stuff. Given the way society is, a quick fix is what a lot of people expect & look for. Personally I think we need to give ourselves a lot of time, care, acceptance & love, to recover from extreme forms of mental health difficulty, & to find as much support as possible.

In regards to meds, I have found a small dose of one medication to be sufficient. But people are individual & they vary.

It may be wise to discus these issues with people in your life. It may well be that another med helps you better. But I just wanted to simply point out, that whether the meds work well or not - recovery is a multi faceted & expansive thing; & I do not personally think that total solutions can be reduced to a pill bottle.

I hope that can be of some help.

Last edited:
P

phoenixx

thanks for replie. the problem with me is i am very good at convincing poeple im okay, i find it very difficult to speak about personal feelings, im not honest with my cpn i always say im fine and she never questions it. truth is i am more in control when inside my house,still seeing and hearing things but i can control it i come accross okay, but outside is a different matter i get anxous, become paraniod feel out of control endangered i very rarely go out i shop by internet i have no friends my brother has recentky moved in with me since my illness and helps take care of my son, i feel better than being alone, i still have racing thoughts am having nightmares,and convinced that theres a demon watching me, my cpn have no idea that im, thinnking strange things i dont have any talking therapy, am tacking quetiapine, i am pretty upbeat when i see poeple i no but when alone i feel quiet low used to take citalpram before diagnosed with sz not sure weather need some additional meds why do i find it so hard to be honest about how i feel, i was bullied when younger, have suffered pnd when my son was born i was raped and this is the first time i have ever said it, although it was ten years ago ive never spoke of it and my family gave up trying to learn of my sons father. am confused about my sexuality, since it all happened, poeple keep saying i need to get out more, go to college but it terrifies me. my cpn got me on a small pc course for 5 weeks she thought i raelly enjoyed it quite the opposite it was terrifiying the room would move side to side poeple were so loud and i couldnt absorb anything, and walking home was a nightmare so many poeple i have a fear of men ive never spoke about i was so relved wen it was all over. am mixed up inside and no one realises this. wat should i do.

A

Apotheosis

wat should i do.
Thanks for sharing all that. What to do? Is always the Million Dollar Question.

One idea is to tell the people connected to your care; exactly how you feel & what is going on for you. It is hard to cope & deal with things sometimes. Personally I have found chatting with people the best medicine; & usually with people not connected to the the MH system.

Keep talking on here. :hug:

P

phoenixx

hi i really dont feel well latly i am tacking 600mg quetiapine and still experiencing hallucinations and paranoid thoughts does anyone else feel like this on this medicen i recently started it from risperidone, i have no motivation to do things and feel to anxous to go out, feel like demonds are out to get me any advice please,

I

IntrospectionFtw!

give it some time try not to put so much pressure on yourself if your not ready to go out then dont do it, keep taking your medication if your symptoms dont improve then maybe try another medication.

R

rasselas

aha

If one of these medications started working with any semblance to the way they are 'claimed' to work then my lord you must fly, fly, fly to the press, to the UN, to the Royal Colleges of Psychiatry and Medicine because truly that WOULD be a most magnificent and unprecedented phenomena!

:) :p :clap: :innocent: (y) :cry:

P

phoenixx

thanks for that!! NOT!! am still tacking seroquel 600mgs and also abilify 10mgs they are slowly decreasing seroquel and increasing abilify as i have been getting alot worse in my thinking and voices/hallucinations is all to much as im not sleeping due to nightmares i am also tacking lorazapan to help calm me a bit have yet to see results early days i suppose am feeling very alone and frightened at present have had thoughts of self harming but have resisted so far just hoping this new medication will help me feela bit better.

M

maudikie

Maudikie

I think Apotheosis is right. Try to make a social life and if the medicines suit you keep taking them. They are very important. But if they are not suiting you go backto your doctor and tell him/her how you feel. There are a variety of different medications and what suits one does not suit all. It is important that you take your medication, but at the same time you need some sort of occupation which helps a lot. Full time work for people with schizophrenia is not a good option but a hobby, and plenty of rest with some exercise, Don't join the rush of life as it is today.

P

phoenixx

I WONT TRUST MYSELF WITH HER
YOU COULD HAVE FOOLED ME
DECIVED BY ONESELF
BETRAYED BY EMOTIONS
I WONT TRUST MYSELF WITH HER
THIS IS JUST WHAT YOU WANTED
ESCAPE
SUICIDE

the voices dont leave me alone

P

phoenixx

feeling very vunerable am alone and hearing very disturbing things i keep seeing this giant shadow man following me im very scared he watching me now.. i feel like harming myself but am resisting i havent been alone for about six months it just so happens my brother who moved in with me has taken my son out for the day and he is sleeping elswhere i cant help worring about him weather he is safe. i have awfull visions of him being taken away i can hear screaming, i hate being alone with my thoughts i cant relie on my sight eaither they all trick me..

A

Affective

Hi,
the thing is with medication sometimes it can only make the gap between relapses longer and or just make the episode less intense. For some people it can make them completely symptomless, so it varies from person to person.