• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Can you think yourself bipolar?

M

mickeymoo

My dr has said I am showing signs/symptoms of bipolar and referred me to a psychiatrist for possible mood stabiliser.

THE thing is, there has recently been a lot of bipolar in the news and maybe I have subconciously been acting it. LIKE, can you think yourself manic? I thought I was so it made me manic? I got some sleeping tablets from drs and they didn't work but maybe it was because I didn't want then too?

If you imagine you hear things do you start hearing them?

emski

emski

I wouldn't say you could think yourself bipolar, at least not consistently enough to end up with a diagnosis (at least I'd hope that diagnostic criteria would be followed and your symptoms closely monitored before any psychiatrist decides to introduce a mood stabiliser). As for sleeping tablets (if you're talking about zopliclone, zaleplon on zolpidem), they don't work on everyone and even after a few days usage can lose their effect, since tolerance is quickly built up.

S

skyblue

When I was a child I used to sometimes think myself ill (flu/sickness bug) to get out of school. I used to have to pretend at first, but in a couple of days of thinking this and lying around in bed, I did actually start to have flu like symptoms or an upset stomach and I would be off school for a week !

Very strange how it happens - Kind of working your mind into negative thinking. Which is why I now think it's so important to try and keep our minds positive to stay healthy.

I don't think this can happen with with Bipolar, the reason being is because I've sometimes wished for a high episode to happen and last for just afew days, just so that I'm able to accomplish somethings quicker lol, but it's never worked.

What I do know is what triggers an episode for me and that is stress and lack of sleep, which is something of course I certainly don't want.

My highs have sometimes lasted for just afew days , sometimes weeks and at my worst when hospitalised, about 5 months. When an episode lasts for weeks and more, I often start experiencing mix states, so those 5 months were at times hell and I would have done anything to stop it from continuing, but it was out of my control. I could not stop and make myself well.

So, I'm unable to bring on an episode and i'm unable to stop an episode.

I think that sometimes our minds can play tricks on us when it comes to hearing things, some people can tend to look into things too much and worry excessively, which is mostly down to their anxieties.

But, if you have a mental illness with this symptom, you will definately know the difference.

Our minds are very powerful, but I don't think they are powerful enough into thinking ourselves into severe mental health illnesses.

:flowers:

Last edited:
SimonB

SimonB

I agree with skyblue on the voices, now in retrospection I know my own voice in my head, which we all do and another voice which just isn't right....I'm trying to remember how I felt but its a haze now...

M

mickeymoo

Skyblue-How do you know the difference? In what way?

S

skyblue

Well, I suppose I can only explain from my own personal experience.

We all have our Inner Monologue - Which is the voice you hear inside your head when thinking through thoughts,.. yes ?

But, when feeling very unwell, I can hear different voices that come from outside my head and are in the same environment as me.

I can usually hear three voices, and they are the same ones every time. Two of the voices I recognise, (one is kind, the other abusive). The third, although I call it ‘one other voice’ is actually crowds of people talking loudly and shouting amongst themselves (a bit like being in a crowded café or bar) and are constantly walking in and outside the room I’m in.

I find all these voices, despite the one being kind (because they have deceased) very unpleasant. They make me feel very irritable and on edge. If the third is particulary loud, it can cause visionary flash hallucinations.

I have heard the third voice (crowds of people) ever since I was a young child.

Does this make any sense to you ?:unsure:

Hope it helps.:)

M

mickeymoo

Thank you sky bles. It does make perfect sense to me.

The thing is I am at a point at the moment when I'm not sure if certain things are real or not. Most of them I can explain away so it confuses me quite a bit.

Briefly, I can see lightning in the sky when there is no thunder (it is winter and there could be a storm nearby though.)

Sometimes I see the lights flashing in the kitchen (maybe dodgy electrics.)

Sometimes I hear the door knock but there is no-one there (they could have left before I got there.)

Sometimes I hear my phone ring (no-missed calls but maybe I hear it in anticipation)

And a few other things like that. How are you supposed to know if its real or not when you can explain it away. I am sure everyone has times like this.

S

skyblue

Thank you sky bles. It does make perfect sense to me.

The thing is I am at a point at the moment when I'm not sure if certain things are real or not. Most of them I can explain away so it confuses me quite a bit.

Briefly, I can see lightning in the sky when there is no thunder (it is winter and there could be a storm nearby though.)

Sometimes I see the lights flashing in the kitchen (maybe dodgy electrics.)

Sometimes I hear the door knock but there is no-one there (they could have left before I got there.)

Sometimes I hear my phone ring (no-missed calls but maybe I hear it in anticipation)

And a few other things like that. How are you supposed to know if its real or not when you can explain it away. I am sure everyone has times like this.
I suppose you have to rule things out; Look at things like your sleep - Could your sleep be deprived ? (Although I feel this can sometimes overlap). Alcohol abuse, drugs (prescription and illegal) ?

If you feel these are not the cause, then these symptoms could possibly be a a sign of illness, but this is where your doctor will help you.

When I'm hypomanic, things around me begin to change. I see fleeting objects and flashes. Auditory and sometimes flashes of visionary hallucinations. Things around me begin to look vivid, with deep, bright and sharp colours. My sense of smell hightens and my hearing becomes very sharp. Everything around me interests me, the whole world seems brighter and so much more interesting, I want to find out more.

Of course I'm not in a position to say whether or not you have Bipolar, but your doctor will help you to rule things out.

:flowers:

emski

emski

I'd have to agree. Hypomania and cycling up is like that for me too. Hyper-awareness, hypersensitivity, sensory overdrive. It can be so distracting yet it is so interesting. But you need to discuss these things with your doctor. I still maintain you can't properly think yourself manic, but in a state of heightened awareness you might be more open to things.

But like skyblue says, if you're manic you can't think and then stop it, same as you can't induce a manic episode through volition

dib4uk

dib4uk

My dr has said I am showing signs/symptoms of bipolar and referred me to a psychiatrist for possible mood stabiliser.

THE thing is, there has recently been a lot of bipolar in the news and maybe I have subconciously been acting it. LIKE, can you think yourself manic? I thought I was so it made me manic? I got some sleeping tablets from drs and they didn't work but maybe it was because I didn't want then too?

If you imagine you hear things do you start hearing them?
Whilst the mind is a powerful thing, I dont believe that a person can make themselves manic or hyper or indeed depressed and low. I think that the cycles a person has is a condition that we all have to try to manage the best way possible.