• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Can you see a therapist anonymously

SarahD

SarahD

Is it possible to see a therapist privately without them being in touch,with your psychiatrist and GP?

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I think they will only contact your GP in case of serious risk of harm to you or others, but that they like to have a GP contact just in case. They would discuss with you first if they do need to contact the GP for any reason.

SarahD

SarahD

My psychiatrist suggested to me some time ago that no one would take me on because of the suicide risk. I have tried to get a different kind of help but was honest about psychotic condition and they turned me down because of that.

I thought if I just said I was depressed and didn't admit to involvement with mental health I might find a therapist or counsellor who could help. Depression is my worst problem. But I don't want them contacting psych or GP. Also if it was completely confidential I would be able to talk totally honestly. Guess I'm stuffed. Mental health can't help me in any kind of way that is useful, and because of my involvement with them I can't get help from anywhere else.

Kerome

Kerome

I remember looking at this when I first had my episode, I was worried about being registered as having some kind of condition... Bit silly really :mrgreen: but I vaguely recall coming to the conclusion that giving false information was the way to go.

SarahD

SarahD

Yeah - I have thought about giving a false name. But they may insist on GP details.

Kerome

Kerome

Then you give them a real GP, you can find them on the Internet or in the phone book. Chances are good that they will never contact them even to find out if such and such a person is registered there. And your medical details are I believe sealed to a private practitioner if they are not an MD?

SarahD

SarahD

Mm mm that is a possibility. I suspect they send reports to the GP, who might write back saying this person is not registered here. It is worth a try. But if you find someone really good, then you would have lost them, and can't go back.

I think GPs are allowed to exchange information with other people treating you.

Once when I had counselling under the NHS many years ago, I insisted the counsellor kept everything confidential from the GP (who had made the referral). She agreed but was unhappy about it. But I felt free to talk about anything.

Unfortunately now everything is linked for me to the mental health service.

Also some private practices round here (for other things) want contact with GP (from websites information).

pepecat

pepecat

I had therapy privately a few years back and didn't have to give my gp name or psych name to them. She said she'd only contact police/others unless she thought I was a risk to myself or others. But other than that, we never mentioned the nhs services again.

Private therapy might be the way to go, but wherever you go, they will contact outside agencies if they feel you're a risk to yourself or others. Ethically they have to.