• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Can you resist obeying voices

W

Westlake

Hello
I hear a voice after I wake , mostly in the middle of the night when I get most anxious. The voice keeps telling me to do things - not violent though - and wont stop until I do as I am told. Can anyone resist voices ? What experiences do you have ?
Thanks.

SarahD

SarahD

Hi again Westlake.

You are likely to get more replies if you post in the Hearing Voices section. I will see if your post can be moved.

Sarah

fate_w_g

fate_w_g

One of my voices is a commanding voice, I don't obey it because if I was to obey it I would get arrested. It wants me to do bad things.

I deal with it by keeping myself occupied and by sometimes confronting this demon voice, telling it no I won't do it and asking it why will everything be better if I do want you want me to do. Supposedly doing these bad things will make everything better, yeah right.

W

wellness

Hello
I hear a voice after I wake , mostly in the middle of the night when I get most anxious. The voice keeps telling me to do things - not violent though - and wont stop until I do as I am told. Can anyone resist voices ? What experiences do you have ?
Thanks.
These Voices can be terribly persistent .... you won't believe that thay can indeed go on for years persisting their demands .... if you give in to one demand they will just keep on heaping more demands and you will be nothing but a damn Performing Monkey to these .... So just STOP doing what they ask you to do and just IGNORE their demands all together ... they will of-course keep on demanding .... so just keep on Ignoring !!

Cheerio !

T

thrill

The key to Ignoring them is with distraction. right now I have a female behind me shouting in my ear, but you know what I'm reading, typing and listening to music.

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
the key to assimilating voices is avoiding distraction.

the key to equanimity with voices is acceptance and engagement.

S

Saiyala Lavirra

Sai is a pain in my ass at times, and a complete dream to be around at others. She is the most persistent voice for me. When she wants something, she can be just like that, not giving up until I acknowledge what she wants.

Usually, what she wants is reasonable, or at least not a bother. I might be working on a project of some sort and she wants the TV on. She has a fondness for cop drama I will never really understand. I've learned how to tune the TV out though. It's just background noise and if it makes her happy, there's no harm in it.

I find that if I can absorb myself fully in something, she usually gets quiet and leaves me be. If I'm not, she wants to participate. But if I absorb myself in something too long, she gets grouchy and can be a nightmare to live with. She just wants to be accepted. So, I treat her with respect and she does the same. On those rare occasions she does wake me for some reason, I can usually get away with a 'Saiyala, let me sleep. It's only been two hours! We can discuss that in the morning,' at this point. Admittedly, that took years and some complicated drama that was both our faults, but still. It's what works in the long run.

So, my advice is to try to form a rapport. Be respectful and accepting. And if all else fails, try to learn to be able to ignore them when they get really obnoxious, like you would with a disruptive child.

Kerome

Kerome

For me, the concept of equality was a big deal. My voices would start taking big liberties if I acknowledged them as equal so in the end I learned not to do that, and ended up acknowledging them as lesser but still worthy forms of life, like pets or a bit more than animals. But they were never so complex, and mostly incapable of holding a conversation or even showing consistency from day to day.

So it really depends what your voices are capable of. They do respond to your attitude, so by approaching them in different ways you can influence the character of your relationship with them, but it does vary what kind of approach is best.

Also I'd say that taking orders and requests from voices into account is a dangerous trend. I've had voices which were perfectly innocent, and then at some point would suddenly say, "oh and just kill that person there". You could get in a lot of trouble with that, so I think it's a good habit to never give in to doing what voices ask, and keep them just within your mind while the rest of you gets on with day to day life.

G

Gredge23

Hello I have a commanding voice also , it will get louder and more frequent if I do not do what I am told , but I just sit there and let it flow it will eventually stop , ther has been times when I have locked myself in my room and told my voice I will not do what I am told and that I am in control not you.m it worked for me.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
wollie Hearing Voices Forum 6