• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Can you resist obeying auditory commands ?

W

Westlake

I have been waking each night at 4 to 5am and then I hear a voice, which I convinced myself was God, directing me to do things - not violent things. The voice will keep repeating the instructions - usually to contact a certain person - and keeps telling me until I send an email or text to the person.

Do any of you find it difficult to resist commands ?

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

In the past I have acted on my voices. It depends on beliefs as well. It's under control now, though :)

W

Westlake

Obeying Voice Commands

In the past I have acted on my voices. It depends on beliefs as well. It's under control now, though :)
Did you find it hard to resist? Did you do things totslly out of character ?

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Did you find it hard to resist? Did you do things totslly out of character ?
Yes and yes, to both questions.

In my case it wasn't to do with bullying (this is posted in the bullying section), but with other issues around politics. I had had trouble with voices for years, and after a period of stability, started using cannabis for the first time. This exacerbated matters, and I ended up getting sectioned at the end of it all :)

W

wellness

I have been waking each night at 4 to 5am and then I hear a voice, which I convinced myself was God, directing me to do things - not violent things. The voice will keep repeating the instructions - usually to contact a certain person - and keeps telling me until I send an email or text to the person.

Do any of you find it difficult to resist commands ?
Look at i this way ... you are walking on a street and a beggar comes up to you and starts issuing commands to you in a similar manner ... What would you do ??? Would you listen and obey this "Heckler" ... how would you as your ownself handle this this "Heckler" in real life look at it that way with the "Voices" issuing commands as well ... so a good way to handle and manage your Voices is NOT to believe that they are some God manifestation .... but look at them as some "Street Hecklers" and the very same way in real life how you would handle a "Street Heckler" .... deal with them ....

Cheerio !!

Kerome

Kerome

Hmm my voices rarely issued commands, but when they did I didn't find it hard to resist them. They are strangers to me, I offer them compassion and brotherhood but not obedience or equality. Mostly they started to adjust to that. Some left. I looked at what they said from a distance, like a play intended to evoke some emotion.

I

Iforgot

Sometimes sometimes I'm doing it and don't realize I am till afterwards