• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Can you please offer me some help.

U

Uptight1

I have joined this forum looking for help. Help from people that don't know me or my history. Help that is not based on judgement's of any of my choices I have made. Help that is not from a doctor. Help that is from someone that is hurting in depression. Someone that is fighting this problem. Someone that has found something that is working for them. Even if this something only helps a little bit. I would like to know about it. If you think I am a doctor or a researcher writing this. You are wrong. I am someone that is very desperate for answers. Suffering in a lot of depression pain.

Please can you the reader offer me some direction or dissection of this life we are all faced with in depression and anxiety? Right now I thought I was doing better than I really am. I noticed the problem. The problem being that I'm not where I thought I was. Now I'm taking steps to try and get relief. A way to run my life better. A way to help deal with depression in a new manner. One that I can use and do each day to live a life. To get a job. To succeed in the areas of basic human interaction in life. Without being crushed by this depression I have found myself slip deeper into.

In this forum I have read meditation more than a few times. I'm going to get back to that. I know that is important in controlling my mind, thoughts, and body.

I'm not here to write something that just makes a reader more depressed. I have already found a lot of that here. If that makes someone feel better. To write down those things and share. That is great. That might be something I need to do then. I'm not criticizing those that have made those post. Please don't take it as such. Just sharing that I have been in here. I have read what others have said. Before I asked for help. Because if I could find the answer's that would be great.

So the question I am asking all of you is this. What methods and things do other depressed people do or have found that helps them? I want it from you. The people here that are hurting with depression.

What I get from doctors is questions about what I have said. So they want me to think about what I have said. I have plenty of time with my own words. I want new words to fill in my blanks in this time in my life that are hurting me so.

I know everyone suffers from depression differently. That is why I am asking the question without giving any back story for you to base it off of. I really want to know what works for you. You don't need to share why you are depressed. What you have been through. I just want to know what you do to make things better for yourself. If someone already put your answer down and that truly is your answer please add it. In other words. Don't read others to see if yours is there. Please just add it in your own words. Because if something is repeated enough. That means it works. Doesn't it?

Right now. I'm not finding anything to do to help me feel better or cope with my depression.

Maybe I'm asking a question that doesn't have an answer. I do hope that is not the case. I do hope that you the reader can give me advice to what you do to help you cope. As I mentioned earlier you don't need to share what you are in or what stuck you there. I'm looking for some real coping skills from the people that are depressed. Not from doctors that have studied depression and how to treat it. I'm already in treatment. I need real world people that are using a method to live a life. To deal with the monster that is depression that we all share.

I hope I have found a place that can get me some answer's to help my life. Plus your answers will also help others.

If a resource within this forum has what I'm looking for. Please point me to it. Still your real world experience answers are what I am chasing after here. I would like to think of every person that suffers from depression as being in a family. We the family of depressed people. We all share this one thing in common. This one thing has effected us. Impacted us in a very bad way.

With that being said. I do hope I can get some great answers here. I also get joy out of helping others in need.

Please can you offer me some help here?
Thank you in advance for all that offer help.

Signed
One very depressed person seeking answers.

Seb1 (was aboveitall)

Seb1 (was aboveitall)

- Randomly smiling every few seconds and embrace and hang on to that instant but quick rush of happiness when you first start the smile.

- Stay away from music that relates to the current mood you're in which is depression.

- Go outside and relish the sunlight, it's very very important.

- Get a pen and paper or a journal thread on this forum and let out all of the stuff that's on your mind no matter what it is as long as it follows the forum rules. This helps sometimes but not always but that's just me.

>>> EXERCISE!! <<<
- absolutely the most important and helpful one by far. I find that the more vigorous and intense the workout is the more euphoria and sense of wellbeing I will feel after, the effects last an hour or two usually.

- Positive affirmations. Repeat mantras/sentences that you know would make you feel better.
For example, "I am loved, and I am at peace", "I'm happy and full of loving and positive energy"
now you probably won't believe these or feel they are true in the moment but that doesn't matter, as long as you repeat them over and over again you will eventually start to feel them and manifest them into reality.

- Socializing with other people irl or virtually, I find that it's more beneficial if I don't talk about sad things or anything that can remind me of sadness and depression but everyones different.

- Video Games can sometimes work

- Writing things. Stories, journals, funny things,
Drawing things

- Doing acts of kindness for others.

- Staying away from drugs and alcohol and sometimes even medications. those three things are all drugs anyways. except for psychedelics, they help with anxiety and depression if they're used responsibly.

- Joining a group irl or virtually

- Watching shows or movies from your childhood that you absolutely loved.

- Gardening

- Swimming

- physical activities in general.

I hope this helps a bit, stay safe friend (y)

U

Uptight1

- Randomly smiling every few seconds and embrace and hang on to that instant but quick rush of happiness when you first start the smile.

- Stay away from music that relates to the current mood you're in which is depression.

- Go outside and relish the sunlight, it's very very important.

- Get a pen and paper or a journal thread on this forum and let out all of the stuff that's on your mind no matter what it is as long as it follows the forum rules. This helps sometimes but not always but that's just me.

>>> EXERCISE!! <<<
- absolutely the most important and helpful one by far. I find that the more vigorous and intense the workout is the more euphoria and sense of wellbeing I will feel after, the effects last an hour or two usually.

- Positive affirmations. Repeat mantras/sentences that you know would make you feel better.
For example, "I am loved, and I am at peace", "I'm happy and full of loving and positive energy"
now you probably won't believe these or feel they are true in the moment but that doesn't matter, as long as you repeat them over and over again you will eventually start to feel them and manifest them into reality.

- Socializing with other people irl or virtually, I find that it's more beneficial if I don't talk about sad things or anything that can remind me of sadness and depression but everyones different.

- Video Games can sometimes work

- Writing things. Stories, journals, funny things,
Drawing things

- Doing acts of kindness for others.

- Staying away from drugs and alcohol and sometimes even medications. those three things are all drugs anyways. except for psychedelics, they help with anxiety and depression if they're used responsibly.

- Joining a group irl or virtually

- Watching shows or movies from your childhood that you absolutely loved.

- Gardening

- Swimming

- physical activities in general.

I hope this helps a bit, stay safe friend (y)

Thank you so very much for this. This will help. Thank you for sharing. I think I have come to the right place now.

May peace be with you in your journey.

Seb1 (was aboveitall)

Seb1 (was aboveitall)

You're welcome and thank you, I wish the same for you.

U

Uptight1

Welcome the forum will be along shortly to support and help

Thank you for the welcome. Knowing you are not alone is always helpful.

May peace be with you on your journey.

S

Sugaree

Aboveitall made great suggestions that I use. Sometimes the depression paralyzes me and nothing seems to work. Then I sit quietly and start to think of things in my life today that might make me sad. I know I have gotten to the situation when I feel the hurt deeply and have a good,private cry. Then I can find peace using many of the suggestions above. It worked today :)

U

Uptight1

Aboveitall made great suggestions that I use. Sometimes the depression paralyzes me and nothing seems to work. Then I sit quietly and start to think of things in my life today that might make me sad. I know I have gotten to the situation when I feel the hurt deeply and have a good,private cry. Then I can find peace using many of the suggestions above. It worked today :)

Thank you. This one I did not expect. The run to it embrace it if only for a moment. Then leave it. Thank you very much.

S

Sugaree

I have had depression for most of my life. We have to learn to cope because meds can only do so much.

U

Uptight1

I have had depression for most of my life. We have to learn to cope because meds can only do so much.
You are so right. Meds can Lead to such scary things. The side effects are sometimes even worse than the problem. Which alone is just so terrifying. Thank you. I do hope that others besides me find help from this. I have gotten such great things today. None that any of my doctor's ever mentioned. I can't thank every poster enough.