• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Can you out grow a mental health disorder?

B

BHTGdogs

Suffered all kinds of mental problems from age 15- I'd say around late 27. Around my 28 birthday maybe a little sooner I started to feel like I was in better control of my thinking. With consent of my psychiatrist I started coming off meds. I was on seroquel, lamictal, kolonopin, and Ritalin. I'm down now to just the kolonopin. I've felt great I've progressed in live, way more self sufficient, and I deal way better with the stuff that would have set me in to a spin years ago. But after all those years of problems. (As I aged my episodes were not as bad but every now and then it would get bad.) Could I have over come my illness? The only problem now is I can't sleep. And I may obsess over something for a day but I am able to get it straightened out because ik it's just in my head. Ik I've rambled but it's hard to just put all this stuff in a small box lol. Thanks for your response!

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i very much think it's possible to fully heal, recover & transform from these conditions/experiences, & you are doing so, people do.

i think the whole emphasis of psychiatry/the mental health system is wrong - the primary focus should be on resolving difficulties & healing people.

Due to a lot of factors, i think for a lot of people their 'mental health condition' becomes their identity. It's not to negate anything, but society & the mental health system is very unhealthy in the general way it approaches all these areas.

There are countless stories & people out there that have resolved things.

A lot of people on this forum/in society will argue illness.

Grape

Grape

I would say that you didn't actually have biplar disorder after all.

Grape

Grape

Suffered all kinds of mental problems from age 15- I'd say around late 27. Around my 28 birthday maybe a little sooner I started to feel like I was in better control of my thinking. With consent of my psychiatrist I started coming off meds. I was on seroquel, lamictal, kolonopin, and Ritalin. I'm down now to just the kolonopin. I've felt great I've progressed in live, way more self sufficient, and I deal way better with the stuff that would have set me in to a spin years ago. But after all those years of problems. (As I aged my episodes were not as bad but every now and then it would get bad.) Could I have over come my illness? The only problem now is I can't sleep. And I may obsess over something for a day but I am able to get it straightened out because ik it's just in my head. Ik I've rambled but it's hard to just put all this stuff in a small box lol. Thanks for your response!
On second thoughts, my consultant said that if i take lamotrigine for two-three years, i could then try and come off, and might be ok.

Or you could be experiencing a period of wellness and become ill later down the line. Before medication when i just had cyclothymia, i used to have a major depressive episode once every three years.

Grape

Grape

What causes it?
Wish I knew
Stress
Trauma
Hormones
Biology
But once the beast has gotten hold of you it seems not to let go. In my experience. I tried med free and swings got worse. It's a life threatening disorder. Life wrecking. I'm inclined to say my specific variety of bipolar needs meds. Maybe the different causes create different types. Some that need meds and some that don't. I'm third generation bipolar and all three of us need meds sadly.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Wish I knew
Stress
Trauma
Hormones
Biology
But once the beast has gotten hold of you it seems not to let go. In my experience. I tried med free and swings got worse. It's a life threatening disorder. Life wrecking. I'm inclined to say my specific variety of bipolar needs meds. Maybe the different causes create different types. Some that need meds and some that don't. I'm third generation bipolar and all three of us need meds sadly.
i'm not anti-psychiatry/medication - i see a place for a comprehensive psychiatry/wise use of medication, & i don't deny that mental illness exists - i do however question what is really going on with these experiences/conditions so labelled. i suppose what matters is the personal meaning & sense you make of it all.

Grape

Grape

Personal meaning, i'm not sure. I just see it as an illness. That's the easiest way for me to view it, because it has wreaked havoc on my life for so long. I see it as something that needs to be controlled with medication, at least in the short term. I've tried all sorts of alternaties to tame the beast to no avail.

I'm rather envious of the OP for being stable off meds. But i am inclined to doubt that he/she had bipolar disorder in the first place because for me, getting off meds and being stable just doesn't happen. No matter what i do. I do however accept that it might, might, be possible that some of us can cope without meds, but i truly believe the illness is just sleeping, or was never there in the first place, for the OP.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Personal meaning, i'm not sure. I just see it as an illness. That's the easiest way for me to view it, because it has wreaked havoc on my life for so long. I see it as something that needs to be controlled with medication, at least in the short term. I've tried all sorts of alternaties to tame the beast to no avail.

I'm rather envious of the OP for being stable off meds. But i am inclined to doubt that he/she had bipolar disorder in the first place because for me, getting off meds and being stable just doesn't happen. No matter what i do. I do however accept that it might, might, be possible that some of us can cope without meds, but i truly believe the illness is just sleeping, or was never there in the first place, for the OP.
Personally i think it depends on what the actual causes are of these experiences/conditions & how/if that is addressed.

Grape

Grape

Once the illness is triggered into action though, i think that's it, you're done for, regardless of the trigger. For many people. Not all. I think there is a difference between mood swings and bipolar disorder i guess. Some just have mood swings. They are present in some personality disorders for example. They can be present in schizophrenia too can't they. And depression. Anxiety. PMS/T. Menopause. Pregnancy.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Once the illness is triggered into action though, i think that's it, you're done for, regardless of the trigger. For many people. Not all. I think there is a difference between mood swings and bipolar disorder i guess. Some just have mood swings. They are present in some personality disorders for example. They can be present in schizophrenia too can't they. And depression. Anxiety. PMS/T. Menopause. Pregnancy.
In no way negating everything people experience, i don't see what the diagnoses/biomedical psychiatry explains? i think a lot of psychiatry is largely nonsense.

The question to me is what causes, what aetiology is playing out? & what are the best approaches for healing/resolutions.

Jonwal

Jonwal

I feel optimistic but my body is sick.

Jonwal

Jonwal

Isn't it they added nail biting as a form of mi to this years dsm