• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Can you have strong psychosis with Borderline Personality Disorder?

O

On Fire

Hello,
Within NHS diagnosis can you have strong psychosis and just have a Borderline Personality Disorder diagnosis?
Psychosis can be part of BPD, but can it be as strong as believing in mind control, that the government is controlling one's own mind?
Or would that be only schizophrenia?
I have previously been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder within the NHS, but I think it was because they did not realise how strong and bad my psychosis was (I was too paranoid to tell them I was suffering mind control).
My GP now tells me I probably have schizophrenia.
It is very confusing.
So just reaching out to see how psychotic people can be under the Borderline Personality Disorder diagnosis? Can it include mind control? Or do I need to be reassessed like my GP thinks?
Many thanks.

N

Nukelavee

I have BPD, as far as I know, long term psychosis isn't one of the traits. As far as I know.

LittleMissNameless

LittleMissNameless

Bpd has an insanely high comorbidity rate so its really likely you have bpd and something else

O

On Fire

Is anybody else prescribed Aripiprazole for psychosis within Borderline Personality Disorder? It works really well, currently, for removing the paranoia/psychosis that is diagnosed as part of my Borderline Personality Disorder (I possibly have some undiagnosed condition). If I am not taking Aripiprazole, I get really strong paranoid psychosis.
Aripiprazole is prescribed to me on the NHS and is 15mg day, the same as the dosage for bipolar or schizophrenia.

O

On Fire

Does anybody else have psychosis with Borderline Personality Disorder? Do you have an additional diagnosis?
Thanks

R

RTLP

Does anybody else have psychosis with Borderline Personality Disorder? Do you have an additional diagnosis?
Thanks
I’m not an expert but I think what you are describing is not psychosis. People with BPD under stress experience symptoms of paranoia. I think if you take SSRI your anxiety and hence you paranoia will subside. Would recommend you to go to a psychiatrist because a simple GP will misdiagnose you.

Passionflower

Passionflower

There are studies that show that people with BPD can suffer from hallucinations that are identical to people with Schizophrenia.

O

On Fire

So they might be right and I do actually have Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder. This academic research around supporting high instance of delusions, hallucinations, and disassociation, all things I experienced, as part of Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder. The research seems to push EUPD beyond and worse than the DSM. When nothing else fits, EUPD can clinically be the right diagnosis.

I might have comorbid schizophrenia, but I doubt it, as it seems in the NHS, schizophrenia these days is only diagnosed in the worst cases.

When I was under Early Intervention in Psychosis around 2010 to 2012 I saw a psychiatrist who said the cases she sees are worse than the DSM criteria. My Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder is extremely bad for psychotic symptoms if that is what I genuinely have. I lack the negative symptoms usually needed for a schizophrenia diagnosis and while I have had mania type symptoms, I lack the depression and mood swings needed for schizoaffective disorder.

Passionflower

Passionflower

It seems that psychosis is more prevalent in people with BPD than anyone wants to admit. The psych's etc usually call the hallucinations of BPD psuedohallucinations which frankly is insulting and seemingly inaccurate.

R

RTLP

So they might be right and I do actually have Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder. This academic research around supporting high instance of delusions, hallucinations, and disassociation, all things I experienced, as part of Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder. The research seems to push EUPD beyond and worse than the DSM. When nothing else fits, EUPD can clinically be the right diagnosis.

I might have comorbid schizophrenia, but I doubt it, as it seems in the NHS, schizophrenia these days is only diagnosed in the worst cases.

When I was under Early Intervention in Psychosis around 2010 to 2012 I saw a psychiatrist who said the cases she sees are worse than the DSM criteria. My Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder is extremely bad for psychotic symptoms if that is what I genuinely have. I lack the negative symptoms usually needed for a schizophrenia diagnosis and while I have had mania type symptoms, I lack the depression and mood swings needed for schizoaffective disorder.

Would recommend not making fast conclusions. Although what you are saying is rational in my experience the chances of you being right are slim. It’s better to visit a psychiatrist and let him do his job. Even psychiatrist that have spent years learning will often make mistakes. People like you and me will make more mistakes.

O

On Fire

Ok, thanks. I am trying to get a psychiatrist appointment. My former CPN assures me I do have Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder, however she does not know how bad my psychosis got.
CPN said to me she has seen before, with other patients, EUPD go into remission with medication. My psychosis and EUPD traits have gone away while I am medicated with Aripiprazole antipsychotic.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 3
wraziel Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 0