• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Can you genuinely have more than one fear?

Q

queerghost

It’s something I’ve been asking myself and I was wondering if there are other people who think they fear more than one thing or have more than one phobia.

jajingna

jajingna

I don't see why not. There's an endless list of fears humans suffer from.

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I have a fear of water, needles, hospitals, bugs, sharks. It is indeed possible.

Q

queerghost

I have a fear of water, needles, hospitals, bugs, sharks. It is indeed possible.
I have multiple fears as well but I remember reading an article stating that humans can only really have one real phobia so it left me thinking

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I do not believe that article. I have seen many people with multiple fears.

Q

queerghost

I do not believe that article. I have seen many people with multiple fears.
Another thing I was wondering was: can people have more than one fear that causes them panic attack, anxiety, anxiety attacks, etc? Again, the article said no (don’t know why it’s so stuck in my mind) so it made me think that all the other fears that don’t cause me to have anxiety attacks are just minor and insignificant

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I believe they can. I have read members on hear having fears that cause them to have panic and anxiety.

Fireflies201

Fireflies201

I'm inclined to agree with everyone here as well. I think there could be multiple sources of fear with multiple consequences. People are pretty complex in that way. There are illness that could share comorbidity, but I've never quite heard that all fears can be traced/limited to a single source.

I'm curious about the claim of only having one source though. What do they mean by it specifically - like a specific trauma or event that branched out into several smaller trees (like a phylogenetic tree)? I'm intrigued by the idea. If you're comfortable sharing the link, I'd like to give it a read.

K

khuang

I think it’s possible. I’m actually terrified of scorpions, balloons, and taxidermy to the point that I will refuse to enter a room with them in it. Taxidermy I’m only okay if I don’t have to look at it and it is far away from and in a case.

00Bluejay7500 (was Scapes1986)

00Bluejay7500 (was Scapes1986)

I have many small fears that play in my mind all the time. Things like candles and hard candy. (Don’t want to choke or burn something down) and I dislike when fears come true like choking or leaving the candle burning by accident. Any kind of accident scares me.

MsJaye

MsJaye

It's possible. I have fear of hospitals, heights, water (like when I have to wash my face or take a shower where I have to hold my breath), dying, open sea.

E

EclipticNight

Its a bit old of a thread but i can also answer. I have 3 phobias.
Hydrophobia - fear of water. In my case anything deeper than my legs.
Agoraphobia - fear of people
Apipaphobia - fear of bees, hornets and wasps

I cant swim because i cant get into the water. People give me anxiety attacks and all sorts of horrible side effects. Like vomiting. I would use a nuke on a bee. I REALLY hate the little bastards. I have been stung, not alergic and it didnt hurt much i just hate them with the passion of a billion suns.